UKC

Rescue in SCNL this morning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Busby 18 Jan 2013
My apologies for any panic or alarm this causes but I saw/heard the rescue heli up in SCNL while setting off for the Aonach Eagach today. There were a few lights up there as well as the heli was moving around then all lights went out after it left. Can only assume it's been someone from yesterday, possibly benighted, if your worried about your mates who were driving an S reg green (I think) fiesta it wasn't for them, they pulled into the wrong parking spot while this was all going on.

Best of luck to whatever poor sod got pulled off, would've been horrible up there last night.
OP Busby 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:
Cheers for that Alan, must've been the heli picking up and dropping off the MRT team members I witnessed then. Always nice when people can walk away.
 AlH 18 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH: And a successful Rescue in the Cairngorms now too. Must have been seriously awful conditions out there https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152441532465556&id=...
As ever respect to those that dedicate the time and effort involved.
OP Busby 18 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH:
Seconded, was up on the Aoanach Eagach today and had 2 hours of BRUTAL winds + spindrift from 12:30 onwards.

Hats off to them, and god help the rest of us when thoes arseholes down in Westminster take them away, well seeing none of those greedy,theiving bloated bar stewards get their fat lazy arses up into the hills...
 James Thacker 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby: "arseholes down in Westminster take them away, well seeing none of those greedy,theiving bloated bar stewards get their fat lazy arses up into the hills..."

Nice one. Those folk in Westminster are committed to provide a Search and Rescue Helicopter (SAR_H) service under current legislation.

Take them away - the only reason we have such a service a the moment is due to the considerable experience of RN and RAF crews flying an outdated aircraft. It will be a sad day when we don't see the Sea King over the Scottish hills but a replacement is needed.
 AlH 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:
> (In reply to AlH)
i made use of my day off this week to do my tax return.

> none of those greedy,theiving bloated bar stewards get their fat lazy arses up into the hills...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/xregister/mountainee...
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/mps-and-mountaineers-take-to-the-fells

Personally i don't find such invective or sweeping generalisations useful or constructive. Once upon a distant time I was an Air Engineer in the Royal Navy and even then we knew the time would come for a new airframe/system of SAR coverage. AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected) don't believe there has ever been a suggestion of removing all SAR cover? You or i may not agree with proposed changes but there are mechanisms for trying to put pressure on or inform the decision makers rather than just slagging them off. Some of those listed above may even be trying to do something useful.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:
Shame to spoil a good thread with an ill-informed rant - some of those arseholes are climbers/mountaineers/hill walkers. At least one MP died in the hills.
 yer maw 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Thacker: I think the pilots used to like the Wessex for in the mountains as well. Appently better manouverability.

Not the best conditions to be out and hopefully all is well. I'm hoping another savage thaw doesn't come in again as it's good conditions for building into February.
 James Thacker 18 Jan 2013
In reply to yer maw: Indeed they did. People suggested that the Sea King wouldn't be suitable for operating in the mountains when the Wessex was due to be replaced...!
OP Busby 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:

Just to clarify, when I said I take my hats off to them I was also including the RAF & RN crews who frequently go above and beyond in order to save people.

I also fully agree that the Sea King is an old/obsolete airframe and does need replaced, however I disagree with a private company doing it as it will presumably be profit led and will have to manage with a much more stringent H&S approach, ie. No flying in the kind of weather I witnessed today. People will die due to these changes, and local MRT's will be stretched yet further, however you look at it it doesn't bode well.

I still stand by my other comment RE: The arseholes, though there are a few good ones but too many are able to shamelessly screw the system and the taxpayer for their own ends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...