ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Positive belaying story

csw on 19 Jan 2013
Having just read SeriousCallersOnly's thread, it reminded me, in a roundabout way, of a story I heard about a climber, way back in shoulder belay days, who was stopped inches off the ground after taking a huge lob off Rhododendron Buttress in Houghton Quarry. In a similar vein, I once organised a trip with someone on here who asked me to [a] lend him a belay plate as he didn't own one and [b] remind him how to use it as it had been a while. Subsequently he caught me after 2/3 of my gear ripped, leaving me dangling about 40' below the belay. A feat for which I'm sure I haven't thanked him enough.

I know we pretty much take good belaying as a given, and so we should, but I'd bet that for all those tales of inexperienced, inattentive or just plain dopey belayers, there are a few of the other kind. Anyone want to share?
... not showing 13 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums