UKC

Which Canon DSLR?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chalk 20 Jan 2013
Hi all,

Thinking about upgrading my Canon 1000d, looking for something around the £500 mark or less (body only). So far thinking about the 60d, but any recommendations appreciated.

The main requirements i'm looking for are:

- Fast continuous shooting (For handheld focus stacking)
- Low noise at ISO of 100-400 (preferably up to 800)
- Liveview

Thanks
 Bloodfire 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk: I went for the 650d over the 60d because I wanted to do film as well as still. I got the 18-135 stm and the 40mm. Its a good package. I figured that there is newer technology in the 650d over the 60d but if you want a pure still cam the 60d is also very good. Sorry, that might have confused you even further but the truth is, it is quite a confusing decision! I still wonder whether I made the right choice sometimes!
 andi turner 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Bloodfire: The 60D shoots movie too...
 HarmM 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:

the 60D is a good option but it's geting on a bit and there's rumors canons going to relase a 70D later this year (doesn't make it any less of a camera, is value will just drop a bit). With what you've listed a second hand 7D sounds like its the thing your after; it's slight above what you've said your budget is but it's worth it.

digitalrev are selling it for £699 and amazon have them for the same price second hand:

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-7d-digital-camera/NzQzMg_A_A

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002LSI1LO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8...

oh and canon's winter cashback is still on (but you cant claim second hand or grey import digitalrev, however they do their own 1 year warranty) here's the link:

http://www.canon.co.uk/wintercashback/
 jamesc88 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk: 650D is better than the 60D, technology is a generation on. Better ISO performance and better video, better AF with contrast & phase detect.

http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/canon-eos-650d-digital-slr-camera-body £519 before £50 cashback and not a grey import.
 DerWanderer 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:
I agree with Max, stretch your pocket a little bit and buy a 7D, it will be a camera for life unless it breaks or you want to upgrade to full frame.
Anything bellow that, sooner or later you will realise that you want better.

dpreview.com has all the info you might need, there is also a forum.
 scorpia97 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:

7D is a great option as mentioned above. Also if your worried about breaking it have a watch of this: youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k&
I certainly dont treat my camera like this, but it makes me a lot more confident about taking it out on the crag with me!
 london_huddy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:

Another 7D vote here: 7D likely to drop in price in the next couple of months as a replacement is strongly rumoured...

I've not managed to break mine and it's bounced down scree, been dripping wet and been dragged up a lot of climbs, crashing off the rock as i go.

Great camera.
 Geoboy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesc88: I'm not sure if the smaller sensor of the 650d, compared to the 60d, will meet his needs for iso.
 Geoboy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk: If you can bide your time and up your budget, you might be able to get your hands on a 5d mark2. I saw one go for £700 on eBay last week. They are superb full frame cameras with insane iso performance. Before upgrading i used a 50d for a while, which was a great camera with alloy body (unlike the 60d?) - i suspect it's more durable than the 60d. It's a very nice minimalist body. This should save you some money for other useful camera gear as well, like filters, polarisor... L lenses Good luck!
 Skyfall 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:

A couple of points I would make are that you can read all you want and get an answer in your head, but until you go and play with the cameras (a bit harder with Jessops now gone) you won't get an idea for how they weigh up (literally) and which you find easiest to use. I looked across the spectrum and has almost decided to go for a 7D until I picked it up and played around with it and just found it too bulky and not user friendly enoough for what I wanted. It's a very personal choice and unless you have something very specific in mind that draws you towards one camera over another, I would reserve judgment until you handle them.

I suspect you may find yourself more limited by lenses and your own ability than the camera body. As to someone above who said the 7D (?) would last you your lifetime, well clearly it won't and you need to bear in mind that technology moves on so fast that you could easily find yourself in the market again in 5 years time regardless.
 Durbs 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Geoboy:

They're the same size aren't they?
New generation, but both physically the same size...
 Geoboy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Durbs: to be fair the 60D is a bit smaller & lighter, but yeah Durbs basically the same size. But the 60D is a plastic composite body - not ideal for outdoor photography - compared to the 50D's rugged alloy body (it's like a mini 5D). The 60D marked a shift from Canon's XXD range. It even has a swivel screen (something else to go wrong?). The 60D's smaller form is more like the XXXD Ti rebel thingy range really.

In a nutshell the main advantage the 60D has is an improved sensor and iso performance, and better LCD. I think the former two points are deal breakers for most people. There are many other more minor improvements. One must scan the specs and decide if this is needed and worth the extra cash i suppose.

The 50 & 60D have the same autofocus and same shutter and mirror. Advantages of the 50D, in addition to alloy body, is that is has a faster fps and also a manual lens adjustment built in (60D for some reason does not). Another important consideration is that the 60D doesn't take CF cards, which is a serious pain and financial blow if you have a nice collection of xGb CF cards (I know I wouldn't buy a second hand CF card).

Both are great cameras and I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed with either... Unless you drop your 60D when your fancy LCD screen is flipped out Apologies for the bias review!
 Philip 21 Jan 2013
I had the same dilemma last month (the thread linked above).

I could have 60D 2nd hand immaculate condition for £450 or the 650D brand new for £440 (after canon £50 cashback offer).

I went for the 60D. It feels great, a solidly built camera and a much better size than my old 400D.

Whether it's worth the extra £200 is you compare brand new....
 HarmM 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Chalk:

might be worth looking at this its a stright up comparison of the 2 http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Canon_EOS_60D
Chalk 21 Jan 2013
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't even consider the 7D because the price is a fair bit more than I wanted to spend, but I think the 8fps vs 5.3 on the 60d may be a big selling point for me. Will just have to save those penny's for a bit longer and hope it drops in price

Was comparing the noise/ISO levels on the 7d to the 1000d and it appears to only be 0.2 stops different. Would this even be noticeable (Only referring to ISO levels of 100-400)

Additional info: I've got no use for movies, will only be using the camera for stills, so I think that rules the 650d out? Mainly using it for landscapes and handheld macro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...