UKC

Ballboy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just watched a Chelsea player boot a ballboy! Disgraceful behaviour. Just what football needs.
 Blue Straggler 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

I saw Jimmy Page elbow a guitar technician / roadie in the face once. It ruined the credibility of "ageing rock stars doing semi-acoustic rehashes of their gory days replete with mildy patronising 'world music' affectations"
 JimboWizbo 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: I guess the ballboy now knows to be more cautious around Hazards
andic 23 Jan 2013

A gentlemans game played by thugs?

The "top" players live in a very rarified world little wonder they treat those they treat people outside their bubble with contempt, once someone is dehumanised you can treat then as badly as you wish without feeling a thing. (I count Becks and Owen as honourable exceptions, I am sure there are others but dont follow the "beautiful" game)
andic 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

fits my analysis
 Postmanpat 23 Jan 2013
> Just watched a Chelsea player boot a ballboy! Disgraceful behaviour. Just what football needs.

Ball boy has been watching too many footballers. Looked like he was looking for an Oscar nomination.
 Glyno 23 Jan 2013

I thought the ballboy made a meal of it and should have been booked.

Wiley Coyote2 23 Jan 2013
The kid asked for trouble with an attempt to waste time by rolling onto the ball but a pro footballer should be more controlled.
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Look at the replay, he pushed the kid over first.
 climber david 23 Jan 2013

The Ballboy was being a tube and deserved to be sent off the pitch etc. but it didn't deserve a kick in the ribs. (I've only seen a clip on youtube so don't know if there was any other factors etc)

I don't follow football and don't know the rules about ball boys being pricks and if they can be sent off or what but he deserved to be punished officaly

David
 Banned User 77 23 Jan 2013
In reply to climber david: The kid had been on twitter saying he will be time wasting.. everyone knows they time waste.. they are told too if the home team is winning.

Hazard was silly, but having seen it its hardly anything overly severe. Hopefully just a 3 match ban. Nothing malicious, just silly.

Some of the reaction on this thread is so incredibly OTT it is laughable.
 Banned User 77 23 Jan 2013
> Just watched a Chelsea player boot a ballboy! Disgraceful behaviour. Just what football needs.

I'm a Man U fan so would love Hazard to get a ban and would love to slag off a chelsea player.. but come on.. he didn't boot him.. he nudged the ball away.

Maybe connected with the kid. Silly, stupid and deserving of a ban, but in the grand scheme of things absolutely nothing..

What football doesn't need is in the news right now.. but you probably lack the ability to read anything but the sensationalised..

Another Ched Evans story is potentially kicking off.. now that's disgraceful, if true.
 argyle_dude 23 Jan 2013

Hazard wasn't the worst off it, after the game Torres tried to kick him and missed, Cole shot him with an air rife and Terry shagged his mother*

*the above may not be true
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy)
> [...]
>
>
>
> What football doesn't need is in the news right now.. but you probably lack the ability to read anything but the sensationalised..
>

Be interesting to see what overreaction and sensationalised comments you'd come out with if it was Suarez who did the nudging with his foot.
>

Banned User 77 24 Jan 2013

I dislike chelsea probably more than Liverpool tbh.. quite an odious club..

Their recent anti-racism stance has been a joke..

I have also defended Suarez for things like his handball and subsequent celebration.. which wasn't related..

I just think Hazard was silly, nothing more. Your club bias is showing through.. mine isn't.
In reply to IainRUK:

You're the one mentioning clubs, not me. I just think it would be interesting to see what would have happened if that was Suarez who did the 'nudging'. I just remember you making a meal of a certain handshake that didn't happen not so long ago. You were definitely showing your club bias then.
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: I'm a big fan of Suarez.. would have him at Old Trafford in a second..

Aye he was wrong about the handshake.. doesn't mean I don't think he gets too much abuse in general.. but then again he doesn't exactly help himself with the 'I dived' comments..
In reply to IainRUK:

Lol nor the diving in front of opposition manager's dugout!
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: The Everton celebration? I thought that was brilliant.

I thought Moyes dealt with that well and saw the funny side..

He's a little shite.. Dennis Wise/Mark Hughes/Keano character who fans love to hate but would love to have him. He's a much much better player than I ever thought he was in Holland and a much better footballer than Torres.
In reply to IainRUK:

Oh the dive was very funny. Frank De Boer thought he was a little shit too. Guardiola is apparently a big fan so be interesting to see what happens when he takes over at Bayern.
 butteredfrog 24 Jan 2013
In reply to argyle_dude:
>
> Hazard wasn't the worst off it, after the game Torres tried to kick him and missed, Cole shot him with an air rife and Terry shagged his mother*
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *the above may not be true

Damn where is the like button! PMSL

aln 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: I saw JJ Burnell hitting a bouncer on the head with his bass guitar then jumping off the stage and punching him a couple of times.
 mike123 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: ahhhhhh...i thought this was a thread about "ballboy"......kinda of strange juxtapositon really

youtube.com/watch?v=hhINd_2WflA&
XXXX 24 Jan 2013

I just found out that the 'ballboy' is 17! That's old enough to be playing in the game, not catching balls. They both need their heads banging together.

Oh, and well done Swansea. It wasn't that long ago I was drowning in the stands watching Horsham hold them to a draw in the FA Cup.
Removed User 24 Jan 2013
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Lol nor the diving in front of opposition manager's dugout!

The annoying thing about that incident was that he was trying to make a point to David Moyes, who suggested that he was a diver, that he didn't do diving. Then last week he goes all public and admits he dived. What an idiot.
 Tony the Blade 24 Jan 2013

Storm in a teacup, it wasn't exactly Cantonaesque, was it! The lad knew what he was doing, got a tap for it, should have laughed and took the moral high ground. Hazard will get 3 match ban. Finished.

Now then, the real issue here is that it has taken the headlines from a great Swansea performance (over both legs). Well done Swansea, you deserve the final!

Avian final eh? (Bantams v Swans)
 EeeByGum 24 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:

> A gentlemans game played by thugs?

Since when? It has always been played by overpaid yobs!
 Tony the Blade 24 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

Not pre Jimmy Hill - then it was just played by yobs.
 Chris the Tall 24 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to climber david) The kid had been on twitter saying he will be time wasting.. everyone knows they time waste.. they are told too if the home team is winning.
>
That is as disgraceful as Hazards reaction. If the club are encouraging ball boys to cheat they should hauled up in front of the FA.

Pinged 24 Jan 2013

OK so lets draw this out into a more real-life scenario:

I am sent to work on a customer site for a few days. Upon my arrival I am running late for a super important meeting, the outcome of which could be worth a couple of million quid...I ask the site security team for a security pass for the day to allow me to move around the building. He takes his time, dropping the pen, taking a phone call etc..I'm seriously stressed about being late for this meeting so I push him over and give him a kick in the ribs.

Acceptable behaviour? Excusable horseplay?

I'd be sacked, arrested and charged.

I agree that football causes sensationalism but I think what Hazard did is utterly disgusting.
 Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I saw JJ Burnell hitting a bouncer on the head with his bass guitar then jumping off the stage and punching him a couple of times.

Yeah but bands and bouncers can often have an antagonistic relationship. The poor guy I saw was trying to pass Jimmy his next guitar! Not sure what he'd done to anger The Boy Page, like
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to andic)
>
> [...]
>
> Since when? It has always been played by overpaid yobs!

Er...it comes from an unattributable quotation:
" football is a gentleman's game played by thugs, and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen"
 Glyno 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinged:

excellent analogy, that's almost exactly what happened.

<rolls eyes>
 struds 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinged:

but that's not what happened... it's more like the security guard wouldn't give you the pass and stuck it in his pocket because it was in his companies interest you didn't make that deal. You then grab him and pull it out his pocket and go about your business

the Chelsea player didn't kick the kid in the ribs, if you watch carefully he toe punts the ball out from under him.

But to be fair it really looks like he kicked the kid in the ribs when you first see it and it's no surprise he was sent off.

the matter should end with the red card, I think there's culpability all round and someone should also have a strong word with Swansea about their ball boys and fair play.

Stephen (not a Chelsea or even really a football fan)
Pinged 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Dont be like that Glyno! Was just trying to position it a little differently to get a new perspective on it...I know its not exactly like that...but its kinda similar.

In reply to Pinged:
>
> OK so lets draw this out into a more real-life scenario:
>
> I am sent to work on a customer site for a few days. Upon my arrival I am running late for a super important meeting, the outcome of which could be worth a couple of million quid...I ask the site security team for a security pass for the day to allow me to move around the building. He takes his time, dropping the pen, taking a phone call etc..I'm seriously stressed about being late for this meeting so I push him over and give him a kick in the ribs.
>
> Acceptable behaviour? Excusable horseplay?
>
> I'd be sacked, arrested and charged.
>
> I agree that football causes sensationalism but I think what Hazard did is utterly disgusting.

You wouldn't be arrested..

Its like him diving on your car keys.. you nudge him out of the way..

It'll be interesting to see if a bruise appears..

He was 17 so kicking a kid is a tad of an exaggeration, tweeting in advance about wasting time..

As said Hazard was wrong, hopefully the FA will just give a 3 match ban. TBF Chelsea acted well, I think they knew after Clattenburg-gate they couldn't go on the attack here and blame the lad. Hazard was wrong but I've seen player-ballboy confrontations a number of times, never to this extent, but players know ballboys are trying to do exactly the opposite to what they are out there to do - return the ball quickly.

All clubs do it, so I'm not blaming Swansea. Teams time waste, if you sub your winger on the near side and want to waste time, you switch him to the far wing, then sub him.. goal keepers especially drag everything out.. it's part of football.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

There is that quote.. but it's bollox now.. used to be true maybe but now totally false.. more so than ever.

Rugby players have been getting in more and more trouble off the park, we've had blood gate (which is probably a worse level of cheating than anything we see in the premiership), plus we've had some shocking acts of violence from eye gouging to the Australian sportsmanship.. google Hopoate..

But hey lets not allow facts and experiences cloud generalisations..
 struds 24 Jan 2013
this is the replay I saw last night that made me think the chelsea player kicked the ball not the ballboy:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/why-all-the-fuss-this-camera-angle-shows-...

He obviously was trying to get the ball back but didn't think what it would look like ! From other angles it looks really bad
 struds 24 Jan 2013
In reply to struds:

still a really stupid thing to do though, he should have used his hands, I don't think it was malicious
 1poundSOCKS 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: The ball boy was being silly, Hazard overreacted, but the ball boy's fine, Chelsea lost, not much else to say is there?
 krikoman 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: I hate football!

But I think he kicked the ball and the little toe rag made a meal of it.
In reply to IainRUK:

I wasn't attributing any significance to it, I just thought that someone had maybe missed the point because only half the quote was, er, quoted
 Postmanpat 24 Jan 2013
In reply to krikoman:
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy) I hate football!
>
> But I think he kicked the ball and the little toe rag made a meal of it.

Actually the ballboy should be suspended or banned.

Interesting how the media all seem to have adopted the "Big bad footballer attacks innocent little ballboy" line.

Yanis Nayu 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
> That is as disgraceful as Hazards reaction. If the club are encouraging ball boys to cheat they should hauled up in front of the FA.

There was definitely contact, the boy had every right to go down, roll around a bit, wince, rub his side, protest and win a sending-off. I wonder where he learnt that?
 Postmanpat 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> There was definitely contact, the boy had every right to go down, roll around a bit, wince, rub his side, protest and win a sending-off. I wonder where he learnt that?

Turns out the little shXt is the son of the Swansea owner! Sheesh....

Indy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

:-D

Not an uncommon view around here either
 Jep_uk 24 Jan 2013

If he gets a lengthy ban then tough luck, he was stupid and it was unacceptable. Yeah the minor didn't help with his behaviour but that was no excuse. Even if hazard was only trying to get the ball out he did appear to push the ball boy and then try and kick the ball, whether he did make contact and hurt him only the ball boy will really know. I would like a 6 match ban minimum, but knowing the FA it'll probably be only a 3 match ban. And before anyone asks yes I'm a united fan, so yes you can say I'm biased

If this was Rooney, I think this would be getting more air time and everyone would be condemning him saying he should be banned indefinitely, probably the same if it was Suarez.

Chelsea didn't act that well in all of this either as they tweeted this "Has football gone mad? Hazard is sent off for kicking the ball under a ball boy attempting to smother the ball rather than return it," then removed it not long after. The club showing its class again.

In reply to Jep_uk: TBF I think Chelsea acted well as a club.. OK there was that one tweet.. posted rapidly and deleted.. but the club then got him in the changing room and met the team, made sure he was OK, condemned Hazards actions.. I'm not sure they could do much more and I think they knew they had to be seen to act apropriately.

Whilst I agree Rooney or Suarez would be hung for this, I hope Hazard isn't overly banned and the FA should look at the role of ballboys in timewasting.

Jep_uk 24 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I will be interested to see what punishment he gets, and to see what the FA say.

With regards to ball boys time wasting this is common practice around Europe, and has been for a while, besides the players are the worst culprits for this and they aren't punishedthat often except the odd yellow card.

Also the funny thing was the ball boy was bending down to pick the ball up to give to the Swansea keeper, hazard didn't need to go for the ball and ended up wasting more time than if he didn't go for the ball and he would have finished the game.

Apparently the ball boys actions were premeditated! He deserves an Oscar for his performance.

Ball boy ‘pre-planned time wasting antics’

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/ball-boy-pre-planned-tim...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...