UKC

Single pitch crags near Okehampton - advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathan watt 27 Jan 2013
I'm going to be taking my two younger cousins climbing soon and they are from the Okehampton area. It is not an area I know at all and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any single pitch crags suitable for beginners near this area?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 Tom Last 27 Jan 2013
In reply to jonathan watt:

Hi.

Irish Man's Wall is I think the closest moorland venue to Okehampton. Not been there myself, but looks good. Dartmoor grades can feel tough though.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1530

Further afield, there's loads of great single pitch venues on the moor. Sheepstor or the left hand side of The Dewerstone might be a good bet and not too far. Slightly further to Hound Tor/Haytor/Chudleigh etc. All good venues.
 Tom Last 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
Beat me to it!
OP jonathan watt 27 Jan 2013

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at them all and see where I end up.
 Mark Kemball 27 Jan 2013
In reply to jonathan watt: There's not a lot in the Okehampton area, apart from Irish Man's Wall (already mentioned), apart from that, I'd recommend Sheeps Tor http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=222 which isn't too far away and is very suitable for beginners.
 Richard Fox 28 Jan 2013
Sheeps Tor is by far the best I think for what you want. Walking access top and bottom. The rock is less 'Tor' like and more like conventional granite. It has a good selection of low grade roots.

Downside it is polished and is often overun with beginners group.

Jonathan, there are a couple of routes on West Cleave that are used by the local YHA/Activity centre there are stakes set up at the top. You'll find it just south up the East Ockment valley from Fatherford Viaduct.

Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...