UKC

What to cook for dinner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frankcp87 05 Feb 2013
I only have a hotplate and a rice cooker.

Has anyone got some exciting suggestions for things I can cook?
 Little Brew 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87: Tonight i am having Beef in Ale Stew, i will be enjoying this with a nice glass of Red.
OP frankcp87 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:
That sounds amazing! I'm in China, so there is no ale, no red wine, and even beef is hard to come by!

Really i'm just craving fish and chips!

But looking for an reasonable alternative!
 dek 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87:
Can you get hold of one of those cheap 12ltr Halogen Ovens? More options for roasting, grilling, baking etc? Versatile bit of kit! Pork/lamb chops are delicious done in it!
 Indy 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87: why don't you order in a Chinese
OP frankcp87 05 Feb 2013
In reply to dek: I have been very tempted by those mini ovens, but generally I spent more time on trips than I do at home so I can't justify it.
OP frankcp87 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Indy:
a surprising fact about China... the food isn't so great!
 toad 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87: vegetable soup - I'm having leek and potato tonight. Don't know what veg availability is like, but there's a raft of possibilities. Tricky thing might be getting hold of something resembling a European stock?
OP frankcp87 05 Feb 2013
In reply to toad: Yeah no pre-made veg or meat stocks either. But you can still make some tasty soups! Curries are pretty easy as well.

Any other novel ideas?
 Indy 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87:
> (In reply to Indy)
> a surprising fact about China... the food isn't so great!
Tell me about it!
Cthulhu 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to frankcp87) why don't you order in a Chinese

No no no! Surely in China and India, the stock take-away option has to be to order an English?

The Big Sender 05 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87:
are you kidding?!! mind blowing food in all parts of china. just need to know where to look.
 ollieollie 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Cthulhu:
> (In reply to Indy)
> [...]
>
> order an English?

beat me to it you sod
OP frankcp87 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Big Sender: Chinese food is all oil, msg and shattered bones. Especially in my province.
You're right there is awesome Chinese food in parts. But every province is like a different country.

Ordering an "English" is what we do, but it's pricey, especially when you can eat noodles for 40p!
andic 06 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87:

Tis the season to eat salted/dried meat; every house round here has fish and various legs, birds or organs dangling out of every window. Quite tasty though.
andic 06 Feb 2013
In reply to andic: (Huoshan)
andic 06 Feb 2013
In reply to frankcp87:

surely you could make something western though all you need for fish and chips is a big pan of oil and a decent heat source?

I guess it is getting hold of what my OH calls "big lumps of meat" that is the problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...