Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Recommend me a Grade I route in Cairngorm

DefenderKen - on 07 Feb 2013

Party of 4 heading up to Aviemore weekend of 15th with fairly minimal winter experience. Hopefully 2 days walking before the 300 mile drive home.

We have done various winter walks in the Lakes and Number 4 gully on Nevis last year on bullet hard neve (solo'd). We have one walking axe each and Grivel G12's plus harnesses and summer climbing rack.

Depending on snow / avalanche conditions between now and then I'm looking for a recommendation of which Grade I route in Sneachda or Coire an Lochan.

We didn't rope up for Number 4 last year but one of our party has said if we do something like that this year she would like to pitch it......so a grade I with good gear - or is that asking too much?

We have summer scrambled Fiacaill Ridge - is it much of a step up in winter condtions?

Or should we just stick to Goat Track and a stomp across to Big Mac for a good day out?

Appreciate you don't know our skill level, and conditions make routes different day to day, but really just after a better idea of the 'novice' routes from people well frequented with the area. A poor chap was killed on Alladins Mirror last month so guessing that's not one to aim for as a first-timer?

... not showing 14 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums