/ Could You Retire Right Now With 600K

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Perry - on 08 Feb 2013
It's just 1 weeks wages to this man;

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/spanish-liga-messi-signs-2018-barcelona-160441594.html

Greatest ever player...probably, worth that much...errr?
fxceltic on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: yes I probably could, but not if it were taxed, which it would be, ENORMOUSLY.
nickyrannoch on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to fxceltic:

Im torn between being disgusted at a footballers and wage and on the other hand having a grudging respect that it is one of the few industries where the workers on the shopfloor see a decent return for the capital they actually generate.
Ava Adore - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

Yes.

Please.
fxceltic on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> Im torn between being disgusted at a footballers and wage and on the other hand having a grudging respect that it is one of the few industries where the workers on the shopfloor see a decent return for the capital they actually generate.

indeed, I dont really have a problem with it but for 2 caveats

1) the footballer isnt allowed to be a total arsehole all the time
2) I'd prefer them be paid a little less and the cost of attending matches not so high.
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: No way. lets say you got 4% return ..24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.

Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left ;-)
mkean - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
I'd have thought you could turn 600k into about 40k a year of rental income with properties near universities?
ERH - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

I would, and I have a good 45 years of work ahead of me :s
then again, say I live to 80, that's 10,000ish a year, I would end up living like a student for the rest of my life!
>
> Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left ;-)

Same here, it would certainly help though, a lot!

In reply to ERH:
> (In reply to Steve Perry)
>
> I would end up living like a student for the rest of my life!

Or a climber :-)

ERH - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to ERH)
> [...]
>
> Or a climber :-)

It's posts like this which make me wish UKC had a "like" button
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to mkean: You could be right, although I didn't envisage my retirement as fixing boilers and washing machines in tatty student digs ;-)
Ciro - on 08 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Steve Perry) No way. lets say you got 4% return ..24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.
>
> Dont get me wrong, be wonderful amount to have. But I would have to cut back to just rely on it for the rest of my life (assuming I still have a while left ;-)

24k a year to buy a small plot of undeveloped land in catalunia, build a house, and retire to pottering around in a beat up van looking for new crags and pretending to be Chris Sharma?

I'd retire on that in a heartbeat.
robal - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: nope sorry, my retirement figure is 7,000,000. 600K wont cut it.....
Gudrun - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

His weekly wage could pay 2000 people 300 each week.
2000 families or 1 super rich man.
yeah it's a tough one.
summo on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: easily retire, or at least a change of lifestyle where the hobby job feels like retirement. Small eco home to live in, build another 1 or 2 to rent out, for an inflation beating income. No point in relying on annuities or interest rates to maintain the lump sum or provide you with an income.
ads.ukclimbing.com
owlart - on 08 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Steve Perry) No way. lets say you got 4% return ..24k a year. Tax on top...yuk.
>

24k a year, pre tax, looks very very inviting from where I'm standing! It's certainly a hell of a lot more than I'm getting at present!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.