UKC

The Stupidity of Chris Huhne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 09 Feb 2013
Thinking about this case, with a bit of foresight, how much easier thinks could have been for him if he'd accepted his penalty points. OK he'd have got a six month ban but a man of his means could afford to hire a chauffeur for six months - result £60 fine plus the cost of a chauffeur(? circa £10-15K?)

Instead it's thousands in legal costs etc, a likely prison sentence and a ruined career. No doubt, however, having done his time he'll probably come out smelling of roses.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2013
Begsthe question; would anyone else take the rap for their spouse or partner's sins?
 Trangia 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> Thinking about this case, with a bit of foresight, how much easier thinks could have been for him if he'd accepted his penalty points.

Ah, foresight, wehat a wonderful, but misused tool that is! You could really say the same about any human stupidity.

As for taking the wrap for a partner? That's a very difficult one to answer, and it's probably impossible to say how you might re-act until you are put in such a position. It would probably depend on the circumstances, the severity of the crime and the likelyhood of getting away with it!

It could be said that the police were being two faced in this case because everyone knows that the whole purpose of speeding fines is to collect revenue rather than to punish or deter. The fine was paid in this case, so to to persue all that "perverting the course of justice" malarky was just mean
 ThunderCat 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> ...everyone knows that the whole purpose of speeding fines is to collect revenue rather than to punish or deter.

It's the thought of a fine / points that deters me from speeding, so I guess it works for some of us.
In reply to mypyrex:

Most likely this is just one out of a whole series of dodgy acts, the only difference being he got away with the other ones. He'd have got away with this one if he'd not decided to cheat on his wife and if she hadn't been so furious about it she decided that revenge was worth going to jail herself.

I don't think you can argue that if he'd just been a bit less slimy he'd have kept all his power and money, because if he hadn't been a sneaky git the chances are he wouldn't have all the power and money in the first place.
Paul F 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> It could be said that the police were being two faced in this case because everyone knows that the whole purpose of speeding fines is to collect revenue rather than to punish or deter.

Most speed cameras are run by "Speed Camera partnerships" and not just the Police. Hulne was caught on the motorway, so the camera will be operated by The Highways agency not police, although the police would be the ones to prosecute.
The Police do not receive any revenue from speed cameras, it goes to the treasury.
 elsewhere 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
if only he'd had the foresight when he drove that day to think "I now have so many points I must slow down or I will definitely get a driving ban".
 Ciro 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

> Begs the question; would anyone else take the rap for their spouse or partner's sins?

I'd imagine it's going on up and down the country as we speak, despite this high profile case.

"Trading" points with friends and family was quite routine when I was living in rural scotland 10-15 years ago and losing your license would likely mean losing your job.

I never much liked the idea myself (since although the chances of getting caught out on it were low, the consequences of such an event would be rather high), but somewhat miraculously I only ever got three points so I didn't have to worry about it.

Ed Navigante 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> Begs the question; would anyone else take the rap for their spouse or partner's sins?

A friend's mum has some points for doing 90 down a motorway...
 The New NickB 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

He was stupid, but he probably wasn't thinking about the cost particularly, he will have been thinking about the damage it would do to his political career. It is the sort of thing that is much more damaging to a Lib Dem than say a Tory.
 MJ 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

This whole story makes me wonder.
Who exactly was in the driving seat in their relationship?
Removed User 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Yep, he was trying to nominated as candidate for Eastleigh at the time and felt that a driving ban would have wrecked his chances.

By the way some of the spelling on this thread is atrocious. One "reacts", one doesn't "re-act" and you "take the rap" not the "wrap" for goodness sake.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+the+rap

off-duty 09 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> He was stupid, but he probably wasn't thinking about the cost particularly, he will have been thinking about the damage it would do to his political career. It is the sort of thing that is much more damaging to a Lib Dem than say a Tory.

I'm pretty sure that ANY politician who pleads guilty to an offence like this after a series of strident denials will be looking at the end of his political career.
However - judging by the words used by Huhne in accepting responsibility I expect his next line to be that he pled guilty in an effort to avoid the trauma to his family of exposing all their secrets - and he will then go on to insinuate that his ex should have done the same. With the implication being that he didn't actually do it.

(Another consequence of a conviction for perverting is that should the person convicted be involved in any other court process - for example as a totally innocent victim - then it is highly likely that this previous for lying will be used to undermine their account.)
 The New NickB 09 Feb 2013
In reply to off-duty:

I am talking about a driving ban not perverting the course of justice.
 Trangia 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserThe New NickB)
>
>>
> By the way some of the spelling on this thread is atrocious, you "take the rap" not the "wrap" for goodness sake.
>
> http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+the+rap

Thanx for the lesson!

MJ 09 Feb 2013

By the way some of the spelling on this thread is atrocious. One "reacts", one doesn't "re-act" and you "take the rap" not the "wrap" for goodness sake.

Stop being so perdantic!
 ThunderCat 09 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserThe New NickB)
>
> Yep, he was trying to nominated as candidate for Eastleigh at the time and felt that a driving ban would have wrecked his chances.
>
> By the way some of the spelling on this thread is atrocious. One "reacts", one doesn't "re-act" and you "take the rap" not the "wrap" for goodness sake.
>
> http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+the+rap

"Yep, he was trying to nominated as candidate..."

Don't you just hate it when you make a pedantic post about other peoples spelling whilst bolloxing up your own post in the process.

Trangia 09 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Brilliant! Well spotted!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Stupidity or arrogance?

Presumably he was pretty confident he would get away with it!

Chris
 Jaffacake 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Maybe he felt that receiving a ban on driving would negatively impact his career?
 Jaffacake 09 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> Begsthe question; would anyone else take the rap for their spouse or partner's sins?

No, but it's an easy decision to make, my partner doesn't drive. I suppose if he did pass and then got some I could see the appeal - overall it would probably cost them less if I took them given that he would be a relatively new driver while I've got a perfect track record and large NCB but I don't think I could do it, certainly not now I know how much of a serious offence it is.

I do know one couple where she took his, twice, he paid her an increasing amount each time. The main reason I found out was when it was being discussed that she wouldn't take a 3rd lot, even for £20k.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...