UKC

Nothing about North Korea?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 12 Feb 2013
I'm a bit surprised there's nothing on here about North Korea yet the Pope thread seems to be incredibly popular. Is an ailing Pontiff really of more importance and interest to modern Britons than the threat posed (indirectly) by a nuclear armed North Korea?

Personally I think it's pretty chilling news, the world didn't get any safer today.
jk
 EeeByGum 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran: The pope thread is just yet another excuse for Coel to unleash his stuck record of religion hatred. North Korea and their nuclear weapons are by-the-by.
 dale1968 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran: It will be all over in a flash...
In reply to jkarran:

They are a bit bonkers though, aren't they?
OP jkarran 12 Feb 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

> The pope thread is just yet another excuse for Coel to unleash his stuck record of religion hatred. North Korea and their nuclear weapons are by-the-by.

It's a pretty good opportunity for some casual racism, Team America jokes and to wind Bruce up about China... not the sort of thing the UKC of old would have passed up lightly.

jk
 JH74 12 Feb 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

They're just eccentric.
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to jkarran) The pope thread is just yet another excuse for Coel to unleash his stuck record of religion hatred. North Korea and their nuclear weapons are by-the-by.

Hmm, Coel is indeed passionate about his disliking but he does have a point on many things.

Anyway, we need an understudy Darwin Rottweiler don't we? I vote Coel.

Anyway, back to those crackpots in the Far East..........

woolsack 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran: You get a better puff of smoke with a Pope
In reply to JH74:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> They're just eccentric.

If I wanted to be eccentric I'd wear a funny hat. Perhaps they take eccentricity to new levels of bonkersness.

KevinD 12 Feb 2013

> They are a bit bonkers though, aren't they?

but unfortunately well armed with it.
For the OP: i dont think this latest test changes anything much. They already had tested nuclear weapons the question is how far they are along making them usable long range weapons which wont be common knowledge.
Its unusual i guess in that its united pretty much every nation against it.
 Darron 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran:

I'm still in me bunker
 JH74 12 Feb 2013

You're not a communist nation though. A hat wouldn't be enough. A satellite rocket launch closely followed by an underground nuclear test with aggressive rhetoric directed at the US inbetween seems about right.

Do I need to state that I'm joking?
 Only a hill 12 Feb 2013
In reply to dissonance:
The problem with this launch is that evidence seems to suggest it was a lightweight, miniaturised device.

Such devices can be fitted to ICBMs with relative ease.
 Reach>Talent 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
The problem with this launch is that evidence seems to suggest it was a lightweight, miniaturised device.
Such devices can be fitted to ICBMs with relative ease.

Lightweight is a relative term, a Hippo is lightweight compared to an Elephant but I can't throw one very far. North Koreas missile systems aren't even close to being able to loft one of their previous devices (we are talking orders of magnitude not a few percent) so unless this is a massive technological advancement then they'll still need to phone Pickfords removals if they plan on nuking anyone.

We are probably talking about someone sticking curved corners and a picture of an apple on a 90s era 19" rack and saying "Look we have latest western telecomunications device, marvel at how much smaller this is than the last one we built which was a 300 ton system comprising paper cups and string". I'd be worried about North Koreas WMDs if I lived within 10 miles of the DMZ, maybe further if there was a Northerly wind.
 toad 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: But then look at Hiroshima - that wasn't a missile launch. You could do a lot of bad things if you trundled what is essentially a 1950's bomb onto an airliner and headed south
 Reach>Talent 12 Feb 2013
In reply to toad:
I think someone has thought of that, I don't think North Korean planes overfly the DMZ
KevinD 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> The problem with this launch is that evidence seems to suggest it was a lightweight, miniaturised device.

i thought they were claiming that, whether reality supports the claim is another thing. Aside from anything else i think i would be tempted to lie to the glorious leader and say i achieved that miniaturisation while testing a car sized bomb, with the gulags and all.

Sir Chasm 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: Look, could you stop being reasonable? I clicked on here for some hysterical hand-wringing, ill-informed opinions and, preferably, a conspiracy theory or two.
 GrahamD 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran:

The only real solace is that N.Korea don't have a clearly focussed 'enemy' in the way that India / Pakistan do or even Israel does.

They can't really 'target' anyone whilst the major powers turn a blind eye.
KevinD 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to toad)
> I think someone has thought of that, I don't think North Korean planes overfly the DMZ

I suspect they could get it in South Korea (boat, sub etc) but question would be why.
The US are unlikely to try regime change even if they didnt have the nukes since the worse case scenario is really a worse case.
So it leaves North Korea attacking which doesnt make much sense since they would then be wiped out.
 Reach>Talent 12 Feb 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
The only real solace is that N.Korea don't have a clearly focussed 'enemy'

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/05/north-korea-propaganda-film-shows-evil-ameri...

Have a butchers at the LIVELEAK link, I can't check it at work but it should be the recent North Korean propaganda video using computer game footage to show the USA burning
 Lord_ash2000 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jkarran: It is a little worrying, they pose no threat right now but they seem to be pretty determined to achieve a nuclear long range missile and with the full power of the nation being used to push that ambition and it's only a matter of time before they achieve it.
The question will be, how far can they go before someone in the west has to put a physical stop to it? I can't see anyone allowing it to get to the point where they have a viable long range nuke and start waving it about to get power and influence in the world. And what would the real consequences be if say the USA blew up their nuclear facility.

If it was me, I'd wait until they were having one of their huge military parades with the leader and all the top generals etc present and nuke Pyongyang off the face of the earth. Preventing the long term suffering of millions of people in that country is worth it I reckon. The remains of their 1960's military is no threat o the USA and with their leadership destroyed, south Korea could take advantage and eventually reclaim the remaining land if they choose.
 JH74 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
>
> If it was me, I'd wait until they were having one of their huge military parades with the leader and all the top generals etc present and nuke Pyongyang off the face of the earth. Preventing the long term suffering of millions of people in that country is worth it I reckon. The remains of their 1960's military is no threat o the USA and with their leadership destroyed, south Korea could take advantage and eventually reclaim the remaining land if they choose.

I love this! Top generals taken out. Nuking preventing suffering of the local people (in the long term). South Korea able to reclaim land helped by US bombing of communist regime. So simple. I love it!
Removed User 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> The problem with this launch is that evidence seems to suggest it was a lightweight, miniaturised device.
>

Was it a launch? I thought it was down a deep dark hole in the ground?
 Gudrun 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> they seem to be pretty determined to achieve a nuclear long range missile and with the full power of the nation being used to push that ambition and it's only a matter of time before they achieve it.

Have you stopped to think why they may want to protect themselves from the Empire which has invaded and attacked more countries than the rest put together?Or how you would react if the Fascist Bush Admin put your country in its 'axis of evil'as well as threatening your country with a pre-emptive *nuclear* attack?
Surely you would be nuts and bloody irresponsible to your people if you didn't work on a deterent ?
Have you asked yourself what would happen if they did what they will not do but you seem to think they will?
Have you heard the word brinkmanship?

Why no jokey smile after a paragraph where you advocate murdering 2.5 million people,for their own good.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't sick beyond words.
Jesus!This and i'm not getting at you Lordwhatever as it's not your fault but this has got to be a classic example of successful indoctrination of the people into Nato's humanitarian bombing propaganda.
So you say murder 2 million people by detonating a nuclear bomb in Pyongyang and then let s. Korea's reclaim the land which has been nuked.Firstly do you think they want radioactive land and 2 million corpses?
Secondly what are they *reclaiming*?
Do you have no problem with Hitler's desire for lebensraum in the USSR?

Question to UKC forum inhabitants- Why has this not been ripped to shreds before now ???
In reply to GudrunEnsslin:
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000)
>
> [...]
>
>
> Question to UKC forum inhabitants- Why has this not been ripped to shreds before now ???

Lordy, take a breath, would you.

Why not? Because it was clearly tongue in cheek or, if not, so rediculous that it didnt deserve a response.

But they are all still as mad as a box of frogs.
 Gudrun 12 Feb 2013

Yeah and the good old British are quite quite sane?
As are the affable and definately not nasty psycho Yanks.
 Bimble 12 Feb 2013
In reply to GudrunEnsslin:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Yeah and the good old British are quite quite sane?
> As are the affable and definately not nasty psycho Yanks.

Neither are perfect, but a lot saner compared to North Korea. I'm not advocating nuking them, bombing them, using drones or any other favoured tactic of Western imperialistic warfare.
What I do want to see, however, are some sort of internationally applied sanctions that will actually affect their repulsive 'Dear Leader' rather than just starving the population while he continues spending all their money on his fantasy arms race.
ice.solo 12 Feb 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

good post...tho personally, id be getting the drones ready.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...