Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Crating the mutt

Frank4short - on 13 Feb 2013
So basically just looking for some suggestions that might help here.

To set the story we got George from the rescue home about a year ago. At the time he'd had a very rough life up until that point and as far as they could tell had never been anything other than permanently caged and never had a family or any love. As a result of this he had some issues with self harming and his teeth from trying to chew his way out of his cage. Basically because of this when we got him we decided not to crate him until he was well and truly settled.

In the meantime time went by and we forgot about the idea of crating him again until now. So we've bought a crate for him that's plenty big enough, put his bed in there and covered it on top with a blanket so it's basically like a den. At the moment we're just leaving the door open so he can come and go as he pleases (within the confines of the kitchen, where the crate is, that is) until he gets used to it. So far he's shown little or no interest in it and any time he goes into it he pretty much comes straight back out again.

Basically it's left me wondering if there's anything I can do to assist the process? As i've read and heard a fair bit that once he gets used to being in there it should become his safe spot and will help calm his behaviour when we're out. Which would be helpful. So any suggestions UKC font of all knowledge?
... not showing 61 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums