Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Help rescuing my Honda civic 5dr 1.4l 1999 from the scrap yard

Jimbo W on 13 Feb 2013
I previously posted about whether it was worth trying to get a new car or fix up the one we've got, well we bought a second hand Nissan Almera for 1500, which is going great. However, I've done a bit of work on the car which had a number of problems:
- water getting into the inside
- central locking broken
- internal air blower not working except on setting "4"
- patch on the oil sump
- some rust about the edges
- spongy low suspension

So I've fixed the central locking, and dealt with the rust, and resolved a major leak associated with body work where rust was abutting the windscreen. However, I've found a further leak, that also explains the problem with the air blower. So I took the heater blower apart and found water and rust in there. There were associated fuses which were obviously also wet, and had blown - bridging these with a wire allowed all settings of the heater blower to work. Tracking the water I found that the air intake just under the bonnet had clear accumulation of water within it. It seems like it is tracking underneath the plastic that fits on top of the base of the windscreen and down into the air intakes. Sealing the blower intakes stops the water coming in, but of course it'd be nice to have air coming in to get rid of the condensation on wet days. Does anyone know how easy a job is it to fix this plastic bit? I think it might be called a cowl or something?

And also, how easy is it to replace the:
a) fuel sump myself
b) the suspension

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers,

Jimbo
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums