UKC

Beinn Udlaidh Conditions - How's the ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PTatts 13 Feb 2013
What are conditions looking like on Beinn Udlaidh? Logbooks show quartzvein scoop has been climbed but not a great deal else. Some first hand experience or someone with more knowledge than I have about what type of weather gets things forming would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul
 janeykennedy 13 Feb 2013
In reply to PTatts:

a while ago now but we were at udlaidh on sat just passed, climbed green eyes, was in good nick mostly, but melting...a lot of stuff hadnt formed/was thin looking...sunday was even warmer so will have done quite a bit of stripping...sat was sitting at about 1 degree and route was melting quickly so judging by the forecast I wouldnt bother this weekend as mwis suggests 2-4celcius at 900m on saturday! friday i guess might be do-able if these westerly winds we're getting are cold enough to do a bit more freezing. But this is just me guessing.
www.getoutadventures.co.uk for saturdays (9th feb) conditions altho id imagine it will be quite different now.
OP PTatts 13 Feb 2013
In reply to janeykennedy:
Thanks a lot Janey, good to know.
 Martin W 13 Feb 2013
In reply to janeykennedy:

> I wouldnt bother this weekend as mwis suggests 2-4celcius at 900m on saturday! friday i guess might be do-able if these westerly winds we're getting are cold enough to do a bit more freezing.

The Met Office forecast is for Glencoe to be fairly well above freezing tomorrow and Friday ie the thaw looks to be setting already, not waiting until the weekend.
 Jamie B 14 Feb 2013
In reply to PTatts:

Too mild for Udlaidh. Plan elsewhere.
OP PTatts 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
Hi Jamie (and anyone else who fancies pitching in), you seem like a pretty good source of local info so thought I'd pick your brains! Heading up to Fort William on Friday night for 4 days and it looks like it's getting warmer. Obviously high on the Ben is a good option but I'll struggle with that walk in 3 days in a row, never mind 4. What else would you reccommend? How are the cornices/conditions on aonach mor? Never been in to Creag Meagaidh but do you think it'll hold the snow and ice it's got at the moment. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers,
Paul
 Sharp 14 Feb 2013
In reply to PTatts: You're 24 man, you'll be fine, I think the expectation that the Ben walk in is tough is down to time when the path wasn't as good as it is now. You'd really struggle to take 2 hours to the CIC hut, more like 1.5hrs at a steady pace. If you're really struggling then camp, stash your bag or make friends with someone in the CIC and leave your bag their.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Feb 2013
In reply to PTatts:
Someone will shortly post to tell you that the walk to the CIC hut takes 25 minutes, but only if you walk backwards. With a blindfold. And your legs tied together.
OP PTatts 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Sharp:
Old profile mate, 27 now and getting on a bit! Done the Ben walk in enough times (and I know it's fine, just arduous) to know by the third day you're really not keen!
Any productive information on conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...