Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Who here DIDN'T learn metric in school?

I started school in the late 70s and only learnt metric - I don't know how many ounces are in a pound or pounds in a stone etc. I'm perfectly happy thinking in miles, but beyond knowing 3000 ft is big for a British hill, I'm pretty rubbish at thinking of climb lengths, for example, in feet. My rope is 50 mtrs long, a pitch should be about that etc etc. It's so simple. Considering that you haven't been able to buy petrol in gallons for 25 years I find it odd that people talk about MPG for cars, but - hey, if you enjoy doing mental arithmetic, we can let that one slide.

But why on earth does the BBC (and most UK papers it seems) insist on still using feet, Fahrenheit and pounds then? Are little kids in schools being taught this silliness again? Is it really that the 60-somethings have such a lock on UK cultural life that they can insist on making life unnecessarily complicated for everyone born since the Edward Heath was the bloody prime minister?
... not showing 114 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums