Running forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - 8-week marathon

fiendoidel - on 20 Feb 2013
My brother-in-law has just got himself injured and as a consequence I have been offered his London marathon entry.

I have run (sporadically) in training for 10km 'races' for several years and have done a handful (3 or 4) of half marathons (all thoroughly painful and unenjoyable). However, after at least a year off, I only started running again recently in December and Strava tells me that I am currently averaging 2 runs (totalling 20km) per week. My longest run was 22km a few days ago and, while most of the run was enjoyable, the last 4-5km were not. I also ride 60km per week (in 5 rides) and swim between 2 to 5km a week (one or two sessions).

I think I could probably struggle round a marthon course in April, but is it worth it?

Half of me thinks I should go for it as I like collecting finishers' medals and I will probably never do a marathon otherwise. The other half of me thinks that there is no point in risking getting injured by making a hasty decision - if I want to run that far UI should train properly (and slowly) for it next year.

So, who better than a group of faceless climbing-obsessed strangers to help me make up my mind. Your opinions please on what I should do.....

... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums