Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Gas oven advice - mostly on "full"

Blue Straggler - on 20 Feb 2013
I have a battered old gas cooker that is probably in need of replacement but that's not going to happen for a couple of months if at all.
Just recently the gas outlet on the oven has gone a bit strange. All positions on the dial, from around to 1 up to "Full" (the numbering and lettering have worn off the dial so bear with me!) result in the flame just being on full blast, as discovered when I burned 12 lovely sausages to a crisp :-(
I do have SOME control over the output but that control has been compressed into about 10 degrees of turn, between "off" and what should be somewhere just below "low".

What can cause this? What does the dial (or "knob", if you must!) on the front of the cooker actually control mechanically? Could it be a coupling mechanism between that dial and the gas outlet, or simply something around the outlet ? I am clueless on such matters. The whole thing is kind of tolerable for the kind of cooking I do, but I wouldn't want to do anything technical such as baking, with the amount of guesswork I now have to do.

If the only advice can be "replace it" then so be it, but I'm just wondering what has happened, from a technical PoV.

Thanks
... not showing 4 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums