Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Electric cooker wiring

jon on 26 Feb 2013
This might seem obvious to most, but I'd rather be sure. We inherited a freestanding cooker (electric oven, and hob with three gas rings and one electric element) with this house two years ago. It was plugged into a normal wall socket with a normal plug and has never been a problem. There is however a dedicated electrical supply for the cooker in the wall just behind it and I'd like to connect the cooker to that to free up the normal socket for another appliance. So, two questions:

1. Having taken off the plastic plate in the wall I find the (very thick) wires ending in dominos - I imagine this supply has never been used. I would like to fit a socket so I can unplug and move the cooker if I need to. Do I have to use a special socket and plug for this or could I fit a normal one (given that there have been no problems with it being plugged into a normal socket up to now)?

2. The wires in the wall are red, blue and green/yellow. I assume that I must wire the socket so that red goes to brown, blue goes to blue and earth goes to earth?

Yes, I really am that nervous. Thanks.

... not showing 31 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums