UKC

Rinse and repeat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 27 Feb 2013
Climb up one side of arch, move hands over reaching hand-holds at top of arch, swing legs over, feet land ineffectually on wall on other side of arch, no purchase, fall off...

Climb up one side of arch, move hands over reaching hand-holds at top of arch, swing legs over, feet land ineffectually on wall on other side of arch, no purchase, fall off...

... and this has been my climbing evening.

jenniwat001 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Einstein said that insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Just saying...
Annoying Twit 27 Feb 2013
In reply to jenniwat001:

One day, my grippy foot-hold will come.
 Monk 28 Feb 2013

Do some crunches and hanging leg raises. Sounds like you need more core strength to make your feet stick.
 Ava Adore 28 Feb 2013

Curse the route setter and give up
 mcdougal 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

> Curse the route setter and give up...

While muttering about missing holds in a hard-man-thwarted kind of way.
 Durbs 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mcdougal:

Psst - heel-hook the left hand
 Andy Hardy 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Durbs:
> (In reply to mcdougal)
>
> Psst - heel-hook the left hand

for me this would have 2 possible outcomes

1) I'd land on my head
or
2) I'd land on my head with a sore left hand.
Annoying Twit 28 Feb 2013
Thanks for the tips. (While I admit my OP wasn't all that serious, it does describe a real situation and advice is gratefully accepted). More core strength would help, as probably would actually wearing proper climbing shoes rather than £3 Primark shoes I'll have to google to see what a 'heel hook' is.
In reply to jenniwat001:

He also said that only those that attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.
as646 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: It's pretty self explanatory; bring your foot up to where your hand is, and "hook" your heel over the top of the hold so that it can hold your weight.

You'll also notice a marked improvement simply by virtue of wearing climbing shoes. The rubber allows for much more traction on the wall.
 Reach>Talent 28 Feb 2013
Winners never quit.
Quitters never win.
People who never win and don't quit are idiots.

If at first you don't suceed get more beta and try again, often watching someone shorter than you trying to reach a hold can be a handy pointer.
Annoying Twit 28 Feb 2013
http://www.climbingtechniques.org/intermediate-moves.html

I'm going to read and watch those a few times before my next trip to the wall. Not sure I'll get them all down pat immediately, but it gives me something to aim for. Last time I tried the route from the OP I wasn't getting as far as in the middle and touching (if ineffectvely) the far wall, so even the OP was progress.
 Niall 28 Feb 2013
In reply to jenniwat001:
> (In reply to Annoying Twit)
>
> Einstein said that insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Just saying...

http://xkcd.com/242/
 ledifer 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

if at first you don't succeed
don't try skydiving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...