UKC

That ever-elusive morning psyche

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RKernan 28 Feb 2013
When I'm sitting at my desk, or driving, or generally involved in the day-to-day I can think of few things I'd rather do than being somewhere big and snowy swinging axes or pulling away somewhere big like Fair Head.

But when it actually comes to it, and the alarm goes in the morning and I'm in the boot of a car in Glencoe or a tent on a glacier or even in a hostel in Fort William every part of me screams to stay in bed, lie on, don't go out - it's cold/big/scary.
THen on the walk-in, part of me keeps looking for excuses to back off.

All this changes of course once I actually start climbing (especially Alpine or Winter) but there's always that psychological hurdle to get over every morning. Of course, it does mean that I do appreciate the rare occasions I actually do get to lie on, especially the washout/rest days on trips!
The whole thing is really tiresome and has always been the major factor preventing me from considering a 'proper' career in the outdoors. What coping strategies do the ever-wise citizens of UKC use to deal with this? Or is it just the student in me being a bit soft?
 Milesy 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
> But when it actually comes to it, and the alarm goes in the morning and I'm in the boot of a car in Glencoe or a tent on a glacier or even in a hostel in Fort William every part of me screams to stay in bed, lie on, don't go out - it's cold/big/scary.
> THen on the walk-in, part of me keeps looking for excuses to back off.

That is me to a tee mate! See if we have 24 hour daylight and could winter climb in the evenings I would be setting the corries on fire! All aspiration, inspiration and motivation goes out the windae with a poor sleep and morning feeling!
 Reach>Talent 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
+1

I don't really wake up till gone lunch time and so hard climbing in the mornings is a recipie for disaster. Pushing myself early in the day normally just ends up putting me in a bad mood.
 Skyfall 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> I don't really wake up till gone lunch time and so hard climbing in the mornings is a recipie for disaster.

Ditto - goes for work too....
 tprebs 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
Ahh yes Mr Kernan, this is known as 'YouNeedToManUpItis'. It has a simple cure:
1. stop faffing with ice axes
2. move back to Belfast
3. Climb more at Fairhead.

less drastic solution
Wake up, have a coffee and login to work. After reading one email your psych will return as you need to escape from the real world. Works for me

Timmd 28 Feb 2013
In reply to tprebs:
> (In reply to RKernan)
> Ahh yes Mr Kernan, this is known as 'YouNeedToManUpItis'. It has a simple cure:
> 1. stop faffing with ice axes
> 2. move back to Belfast
> 3. Climb more at Fairhead.
>
> less drastic solution
> Wake up, have a coffee and login to work. After reading one email your psych will return as you need to escape from the real world. Works for me

I really like that, using a work email to make you want to go climbing.

Timmd 28 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Milesy)
> +1
>
> I don't really wake up till gone lunch time and so hard climbing in the mornings is a recipie for disaster. Pushing myself early in the day normally just ends up putting me in a bad mood.

A bad mood for the whole day?

Reach>Talent 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:
A bad mood for the whole day?

What can I say, I'm that climber with an unhealthy ego-driven outlook on climbing that "The Rock Warriors Way" was written for. Getting stopped by a route because I'm climbing badly really gets on my nerves

OP RKernan 28 Feb 2013
In reply to tprebs:
1. No. It's fun. You should try it, scratching away with sharp tools will remind you of t'mine.
2. Working on it
3. Working on it.

I have no problem getting psyched while I'm at work. It's waking up at the bivvy/hostel whatever at 6am and getting up and out that's the problem!
 Timmd 28 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Timmd)
> A bad mood for the whole day?
>
> What can I say, I'm that climber with an unhealthy ego-driven outlook on climbing that "The Rock Warriors Way" was written for. Getting stopped by a route because I'm climbing badly really gets on my nerves

Fair enough, I think i'd try and be philosophical and look around at where I am, and think about the beauty of nature or something.

No point in spoiling a day outdoors by being grumpy. Ideally speaking that is, i'm also known to have been grumpy when tired, but I try and look at where I am and it puts things into perspective.

Trips to the outdoors and bad moods both pass by, and trips are more memorable than bad moods. ()

tprebs 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
> (In reply to tprebs)
> 1. No. It's fun. You should try it, scratching away with sharp tools will remind you of t'mine.

1. to soon...
redsonja 01 Mar 2013
In reply to RKernan: im the opposite. i dont mind getting up in the middle of the night for a hill day, but i start work at 6am and when my alarm goes ust after 5, thats the time i want to stay in bed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...