/ Sheffield & getting my name on a morgage without a job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TRip - on 28 Feb 2013
Hey,

My girlfriend has been offered a job in Sheffield and it looks like we are going to up sticks from the metropolis that is North Wales. I'm pretty sad about this, because I love it here, but I'm also mad psyched to live in the Peak.

It looks like we're going to be in Sheffield for at least 3, but more likely 7 years. So it would seem like a good idea to buy a house.

Being very middle class we both have some inheirence/parental money to put towards a deposit and my girlfriend has a good career.

There is a catch however, I don't have a career. I'm a scruffy climbing bum who likes going on expeditions. There isn't a hope in hell that I could get a morgage in my own name. I can earn enough money to pay half of the bills and morgage repayments however.

Although I do trust my girlfriend I don't reeally want the house to be just in her name if my money is going into the deposit and morgage repayments in equal measure.

Any idea what we can do about this?

Also where should we live? My girlfriend could be working in either, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster or Chesterfield. It also needs to be easily accessable to the Peak. Somewhere in West Sheffield would be my first choice?

How much should we be looking to pay for 3 bed that is a bit, but not too much, of a project?

Eeek I'm excited!
andy - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip: It's not a problem - as long as your credit's not dodgy there's no reason not to put you on the mortgage. Lots and lots of non-working spouses are on mortgages - my wife wasn't working when we bought our current house. As long as your other half's salary covers the mortgage (and supporting you, if you have no income) it'll be fine.
New POD - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip:

When me and the wife bought our house, she was a stay at home mum, with no income. This happened twice.

The building society will take your joint income, and the level of deposit, and rightly ignore the fact that one of the names has no income.

For them not to do that would stop every "tradional" couple from buying a house together.
SI - profile removed on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip: Cool, Sheffield's on awesome city. Dunno about the mortgage but the nice area's in the West are Crookes, Walkley, Broomhill and Fullwood.

Crookes is cool but full of students, probably looking 120-150 for a three bed.

Walkley's my favourite, small local community - bit old school. Probably looking at 90 -110

Broomhill is a studenty area that runs into Fullwood - Fullwood then runs into the Peak. I've not lived that way, it's expensive!

Nether edge is a nice area, just South of the city, about Walkley prices. Then that runs down to Millhouses which is about the same prices I think. Millhouses is awesome, loved living there but it was just too far away from all my mates.

Good luck!
Carolyn - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip:

Yes, as above - from what I recall, my earnings weren't taken into account for the current mortgage, but I'm named on it.

Mind you, I suspect it's really the title deeds you need your name on, and I can't recall if that needs to be the same as on the mortgage?
andy - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> Mind you, I suspect it's really the title deeds you need your name on, and I can't recall if that needs to be the same as on the mortgage?

Yes, but it's not a case of "needing" your name on, it will be - the mortgaee and the mortgagor(s) are recorded at the Land Registry and will be done as part of the conveyancing.

The only issue the OP might have is if the partner's income isn't enough to support the mortgage and him - if he doesn't have an income/permanent job the assumption will be that she supports him, so that'll be taken away from income that can be used for paying the mortgage.
stella1 - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Carolyn: deeds need to be in the same name as who holds the mortgage
TRip - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to andy:
>
> The only issue the OP might have is if the partner's income isn't enough to support the mortgage and him -

What sort of figure are we looking at hear?

Cheers for the help.

andy - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to stella1:
> (In reply to Carolyn) deeds need to be in the same name as who holds the mortgage

Well strictly if the property's registered at the Land Registry there's no need for title deeds any more - the title is registered at the LR so the deeds don't do anything any more.
andy - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> What sort of figure are we looking at hear?
>
> Cheers for the help.

Varies by lender, but have a look here:

http://www.moneyextra.com/mortgages/calculators/
The New NickB - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip:

You say you can pay half the mortgage and bills, so I assume that the issues is that your work is irregular / temporary, I am sure if you can demonstrate an income of some sort and arnt actually stretching things too much financially it won't be a problem.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Timmd on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to TRip:

The only drawback with Millhouses is the air quality apparently, which is a surprise given how green it is.

The people with meters who measure these things say the air quality dips below the recommended levels for it to be healthy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.