UKC

Norwegian Brown Cheese: Brunost

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm totally hooked on the stuff since i got back from Rjukan. Its a brown caramel cheese that tastes like nothing else. Has anybody else sampled the amazing delights of the amazing Norwegian brown cheese? Any serving suggestions? Any idea of suppliers in the UK?
 d_b 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Gah! Brunost! Next you will be telling us you are addicted to lutefisk!

Might be able to bring a block or two back from Norway in April, depending on how close to my luggage limit I seem to be.
 Steve nevers 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Tried this stuff recently.

Quite bizarre, I have to say.
 ebygomm 04 Mar 2013

It might be in short supply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21141244
 Robert Durran 04 Mar 2013

I bought some of that by mistake, thinking it was proper cheese. nearly gagged on it. Revolting.
In reply to ebygomm: that explains why i got stopped at customs... They let me fly with it though!
Let me know if you can bring some back please, that'd be great.
In reply to davidbeynon: Good work. Thank you.
 Nordie_matt 04 Mar 2013

http://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/products/Gudbrandsdalen-Brunost-250g.html

Or if you are near Macclesfield you can get it at the cheese shop in the market
 Fat Bumbly2 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt: Heavenly stuff. Got put up by my taxi driver in Bodø once. He told me that we would probably would not like this stuff, but hooked on it ever since.

I have seen it sold at the cheese shop in Rattray on the way up Glen Shee.
 Nordie_matt 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

My Missus is a Norgie, and she was so excited when she found it in macc. She swears it's best on fresh home-made bread straight out of the oven, with a slice of red pepper on top. I just like a bit of Cheddar
 sjminfife 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I remember eating that in Norway.Is it not made from Reindeer milk?
sjm
In reply to Nordie_matt: I'm from Stoke! Looks like well be having a trip to macc market when this block has gone.
 nufkin 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:
> (In reply to Fat Bumbly2)
>
> She swears it's best on fresh home-made bread straight out of the oven, with a slice of red pepper on top.

I've heard (and had) a wee bit different - sliced with one of those hand-held slicers, then topped with jam. Lingonberry, probably, for the properly authentic Norge experience.
 Bulls Crack 04 Mar 2013

Yes and found it repugnant!
 Mikkel 05 Mar 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Double Knee Bar)
>
> Gah! Brunost! Next you will be telling us you are addicted to lutefisk!

Brunost is nice, but Lutefisk is horrible.

Same with Rakefisk, Norwegian colleauge who lived in Paisley was cooking that in his flat, went out to do some shopping, came back and found his door kicked in.
His old neighbour thought the smell was him lying dead in the flat, and had called the police who kicked the door in, the story made the newspapers in Norway.
 Drexciyan 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: When I first tried it I thought it was disgusting, but by the end of my trip I loved it!
Enjoyed it most with fresh tomatoe on crispbread type things. A deli in Linlithgow stocks it.

It's awesome. I had it on a pancake with jam in a bakery in Svolvaer. Mmm.
 Motown 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Goot it from deli in Torquay. Like somewhere between cheese, fudge and butter. Amazingly good.
 AndyC 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

But riskrem with tinned strawberries is even better!
Douglas Griffin 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

I was in Stavanger last week. On Tuesday I went to one of the restaurants down by the harbour; it was serving traditional Cod from Lofoten, complete with liver, tongue and roe.

I chickened out and went for the braised lamb shank.
 Sparrowmonkey 05 Mar 2013

I may have returned with the same affection for it. You can buy online http://www.scandikitchen.co.uk I have also asked a Norwegian colleague who tells me you can get it in Bristol from a deli and a market. I'll check which!
 DNS 05 Mar 2013

Served it for the first time on a cheese board at The Black Horse, Clifton in West Yorks last week. I love cheese if all kinds, but that was unique in my experience. Neither good nor bad, just very different.
Pinged 06 Mar 2013

Its lovely!! Can get it in chesterfield cheese shop near the square and the cheese hamlet in didsbury. I like it melted on a couple of crumpets.
 Pete Fish 06 Mar 2013

Its awesome stuff, I like it best layered over sauted potato and sausage with some sweet mustard. Great breakfast when you want to last all day walking in the hills.

Always thought it tasted a bit like cheesy peanut butter.

You can get it at the Cambridge Cheese company and occasionally on the cheese counter at Sainsburys (seen it a couple of times but not reliable).

Pete
 Pete Fish 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Pete Fish:

Apologies for the double post.

They sell it as Gjetost but I think its the same stuff.

Pete
 TheseKnivesMan 09 Mar 2013

Flotemysost (lighter sweeter brunost) on wholemeal toast. OOFT. Salivating already. You can get the 200g blocks of brunost at certain Delis for eample Victor Hugos in Edinburgh. Not sure about other places

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...