Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Van rusting problem

MikeR - on 04 Mar 2013
Sent my van in for it's MOT a few days ago. It failed on a fair few minor faults such as lights etc.. which wasn't unexpected.

However, the guy said that there was severe rusting on the underside (you can push your finger through in several places), mainly affecting the sills. After a lengthy discussion with his boss they decided it wasn't failable on the rust at the moment as it was far enough away from any load bearing points. However, he said I'd seriously need to consider whether it's worth spending any more money on to get it fixed.

I'm in the process of converting it into a camper and have put a lot of work in (fitted insulation, installed side windows, a rockroll bed, I even made my own custom made bookshelf!). Other than the rust, and a slight problem with the radio, it's a great van, and I've already had some great mini-trips in it, so I really don't want to get rid of it, but I need to be relistic. Is it worth getting it welded up, probably at a large cost, and if so does anyone have any idea how long term a fix this would be?

Thanks,

Mike
... not showing 21 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums