UKC

Canon lens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 12 Mar 2013
Right - I know this has been done before in various guises but people's views do move on, including my own.

I currently have a crop sensor 60D, which I like v much. I may, however, move up to a full sensor in the next few years (not right now for sure).

I currently have:

Canon 70-200L f4 for long stuff, v nice, lightwieght etc
Tamron 15-55 f2.8 (non-IS) v nice indeed for the price, sharp, fast but noisy and a little slow AF
Canon 10-22 EFS pretty good ultra-wide, though soft at the edges

Though I have loved the Tamron 17-50 (superb value and probably my best lens purchase), I am considering getting something a bit better for the mid range area and perhaps with more reach. So started thinking about a 24-105 L IS as a general walk about with a lot more reach than my tamron. I think partly what appeals is that I use my 70-200 a lot but at the short end, probably up to 100 or so (often for portrait shots) and the 24-105 shoudl be better for that sort of easy shooting stuff. And would then work well with a full frame body.

However, once I start thinking about L series lenses I drift towards a 17-40L for landscape and some climbing shots. Or should I just bite the bullet and getting a canon 17-55 f2.8 IS dedicated for crops and good reviews (but it's not cheap and wouldn't work with a full frame body).

Historically, I have done a lot of landscape stuff, which tends to be towards the wider end of things but by no means exclusively. I would also like to take more climbing shots. Plus I do a lot of just general walk about/holiday shooting. No sports/action photography. I might like to get back into macro but I would probably get a specific macro lens if I go in that direction.

I suppose this is the classic conundrum with using full frame lenses on crop bodies - 17-40 (64mm equivalent at the long end) arguably short on reach and 24-105 not quite wide enough (38mm equivalent at the wide end).

If I was a bit more impressed by the 10-22 I'd almost certainly go for the 24-105 but sadly the IQ on the 10-22 just isn't good enough (unfortunately given the price) to be my normal wide lens (for me it is just a superwide). The Tamron gives better results at the 17mm+ end of things. So if I get the 24-105 I have a suspicion I will find there's a real gap at the wide end of things and I'll end up having to use the tamron 17-50 to plug the gap which is a great little lens but then I'll be changing lenses every 5 mins.

Thoughts?
What Goes Up 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: As a starter, the 24-105 is a lovely lens. You're entirely right about the crop factor, but my advice would be to put that out of your mind for now as you've only said you may upgrade to FF and that will be further down the line. If you're comfortable buying second-hand lenses I would suggest making a sensible purchase for the 60d for now, with the view that if you want to change / upgrade the lens if and when you do upgrade to FF then you should get back most if not all of what you paid for it.

OP Skyfall 12 Mar 2013
In reply to What Goes Up:

where do you go about picking up good quality 2nd hand lenses?
What Goes Up 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Usually through photography forums etc, but I've had a couple from ebay before which have worked out fine - bit more if a risk though if you can't give them the once-over. Only shop I have down my way which does higher-end second-hand is London Camera Exchange and I find them way overpriced, but you do get a warranty that way I suppose.
 Russell Lovett 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: always bought mine off ebay ( 2 L lenses and a standard zoom) never had any bother. Also bought my 5d mk1 full frame off there and was spot on. If you are buying a new camara I would defo go for a used ebay pro body, you might have to wait a while to get a good price but as they are so expensive to buy in the first place chance ate they have been well looked after and will be as chee as a new amitour/ hobby camara. Take a look at my photo gallery on here nearly all the photos are taken with my ebay lenses and camara.
 Bimble 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

The 17-40 is belting glass. Not all that fast at F4, but if you're using it for landscapes anyway, you can't go wrong.
In reply to TryfAndy: Just got a 17-40 for my new 5D mkIII, both are presenting a steep learning curve, but are well worth it.
 Bimble 13 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
Very good excuse to 'go out & mess' though Enjoy them, you've got some damn good tools there.
 Hannes 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Have you considered the 15-85? Not particularly fast and doesn't have constant aperture but image quality is very good and you get a range which would complement your 70-200 very well. Save the tamron for indoors if you find the aperture lacking.

I'm in a similar situation as you but ended up going for a 24-105 to go with my 40D after all. I simply found I rarely ever use the wide end of my lens but most of my shots are in the 50-100mm range. The 17-40 was interesting but simply not long enough for me at least. Given how cheap you can get the 24-105 it seemed like the most sensible choice to me
In reply to TryfAndy:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
> Very good excuse to 'go out & mess' though Enjoy them, you've got some damn good tools there.

Yep, too true, and boy am I enjoying. Thanks for that, I'm aware we have exchanged less politely in the past.
 Bimble 14 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to TryfAndy)
> [...]
>
>
> Yep, too true, and boy am I enjoying. Thanks for that, I'm aware we have exchanged less politely in the past.

Pah, mere verbal jousting!

I like those, especially this one, even though I thought the tubes were candles at first! https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gVwH_zRmMig/UT-NYzYmteI/AAAAAAAACWs/2RUJ...
In reply to TryfAndy: Thanks again, they are actually the tree pens at our new local tree prison.

http://www.nationalarboretum.act.gov.au/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...