UKC

Hemet Camera options/advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SailorSam 12 Mar 2013
Im interested in getting a helmet camera for use while rock climbing, winter climbing and skiing, Just basically wanting to know whether anyone has any advice on which make/model to go for and the results of footage captured? Many thanks in advance!
 Tomagone 12 Mar 2013
In reply to SailorSam: I'd recommend the GoPro Hero 2, its HD, comes with a water proof housing and is very light.
You could go for the Hero 3 but it quite expensive and a bit buggy, I had to send my back because it kept freezing and turning it's self off, not sure if it was just my one but I've talked to a few other people and they're not too impressed with theirs. Saying that, it super light and the wifi remote/app is quite handy and the quality is amazing.
 BALD EAGLE 12 Mar 2013
In reply to SailorSam:

Hi SailorSam

Another vote for GoPro 2 although personally I think helmet-cam footage by itself does not work all that well for climbing. Consequently I use a Panasonic V700 camcorder on a decent tripod, complimented with a GoPro2 to add an interesting mix of angles and views. Also with regard to editing software I'm a big fan of Sony Vegas and have the 11 HD Platinum version which costs about £30. Although it is very powerful software, I found it straightforward to pick up the basics but have barely scratched the surface in what it can do after a year of using it!
Feel free to have a look at one or two of my latest efforts such as Croesor-Rhosydd, Escalando en Tenerife or Brecon Ice Climbing for example:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chdslDave/videos?view=0&flow=grid
Hope this helps and good luck when you get your new toy!
Cheers Dave

In reply to SailorSam: Be warned, as soon as you put it on your head you're much more likely ot be avalanched, fall off a cliff or end up on a collapsing ice route...
Bomber 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Tomagone:
I had to send my Hero 3 silver back because it died on uploading the updated software which you have to do before you can use it. Not impressed.
Since this I have researched and asked around, it seems that there are many others who have had software problems as well.
 koolkat 13 Mar 2013
In reply to SailorSam: i have a contour and a drift both hd prefer the contour for ease of use but the drift has a screen for viewing

here is a link to my vids

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamkoolkat/videos?flow=grid&view=0

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...