UKC

Books about hill-running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamesRoddie 13 Mar 2013
I recently finished "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith and really enjoyed it. I've been hill-running for about 18 months now and I'm very keen to read more about it - not necessarily books about training/technique but more along the lines of Feet in the Clouds.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Most of the books I've seen seem to be about ultra-marathon running, which for me is still a long way away, so I'm more after books about hill-running in Scotland/the UK in general.

Thanks for any suggestions.
James
 Banned User 77 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie: Theres Boffs run wild?

There's also a collection of short stories on fell races somewhere, published in aid of MRT's.. I forget its name.

There's not too much, I like the Mudge Lennox book on ultimate races around the world..
 Curry 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Mike Cudahy's book Wild Trails to Far Horizons is really good. He writes about his Pennine Way run (270 miles in under three days!!) his running career and motivations, as well as his other experiences in ultra running, West Highland Way, Coast to Coast etc.

Fascinating book, and an inspirational man.
 Curry 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Curry:

Just realised you're more after books about shorter stuff! I've ordered a copy of Scottish Trail Running by Susie Allison, not so much Feet in the Clouds, more a book listing and describing 70 trail routes in Scotland.

Al Evans 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie: Stud Marks on the Summit was a classic, there is an interesting article about the sad demise of its author here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045915/Body-legendary-fell-runner-...
 Al Evans 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Sadly I used to own a copy of the aforsaid book but somebody borrowed it and never returned it
 Al Evans 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Incidently another book of possible interest is Tom Fairbanks classic 'I Bought a Mountain' with a description of an early succesful attempt on the Welsh 3000's.

"His first book, an autobiography entitled I Bought a Mountain (ISBN 978-1871083057) was published in 1940 and became a major international best-seller. It describes how aged only 21, he bought he bought Dyffryn Mymbyr farm,[1] a 2,400-acre (9.7 km2) sheep farm in Capel Curig, North Wales, in 1931 and painstakingly learnt his trade, while portraying the beauty of Snowdonia. Firbank was a keen mountain walker, and the book includes a hair-raising account of how he and his two companions were possibly the first to ascend all of the Welsh 3000s in less than 9 hours.[2] Firbank's first wife, Esme, a Surrey-born actress whom he met in 1933, features prominently."
 DH3631 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie: There are a couple of books specifically about the Ben race, the first by Hugh Dan Maclennan which IMHO is slightly pedestrian, the other one is "Up the Ben with Eddie" which is not purely about the race but for want of a better description, general social history of the Ben. A bit random but some good stuff in it and it's for a good cause (available in cancer research shop in the fort).
jjmacewan 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Running High by Hugh Symonds is a good read:

http://www.hayloft.eu/running%20high.html
jjmacewan 13 Mar 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Not a book but you mind find this old Grampian TV programme interesting:

youtube.com/watch?v=Akxcmh7BFYI&

"In 1992, Rory Gibson and Andrew Johnston set out to climb 277 Scottish mountains known as the Munros, in less than 50 days. (Munro is the name given to all Scottish mountains over 3000 feet high, named after Sir Hugh Munro who catalogued them). This documentary follows their attempt to create a new record for 'bagging' all of Scotland's Munros. Some people take a lifetime to climb them all but Roy Gibson and Andrew Johnston have given themselves 50 days.

They are supremely fit, having trained in the Himalayas before tackling this Challenge. Their route takes them from Ben Nevis to Ben Hope via Loch Lomond, Mull, the Cairngorms, the Isle of Skye and the Torridons. Will they succeed?"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...