UKC

Everest not the tallest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlexBush 13 Mar 2013
Just heard from a friend that for a few weeks a year, when the snow builds up on K2 it actually rises higher than Everest!

Needless to say I quickly got Google on the case and stumbled across this:
http://juneauempire.com/stories/021410/nei_562852078.shtml

Not sure I will take it as gospel but an interesting concept anyway.

I mean could claim to have climbed the highest peak in the world after having climbed K2 in winter conditions?

I have to add that it is not on my tick list of mountains for the year!
 Tom Last 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

Dunno, but I'd have thought any highest in the world business would come somewhat secondary to climbing K2 in winter anyway!
 john arran 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

237m of snow buildup on the summit? Really? Just for a few weeks?
ice.solo 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

Call me a skeptic but i find it hard to believe that the snow is +200m deep on the summit of K2.
And wouldnt it build up on everest too?

Just sayin
 MJ 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

Quite right, Mauna Kea is the tallest.
 DaveHK 13 Mar 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to AlexBush)
>
> Quite right, Mauna Kea is the tallest.

No, it's Chimborazo.

DaveHK 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:
> Just heard from a friend that for a few weeks a year, when the snow builds up on K2 it actually rises higher than Everest!

Cobblers.
 The Ivanator 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: As the site you've linked to says - "beware of useless information" or should that read misinformation?
Seems this myth that K2 is taller than Everest does the rounds periodically, but it has been proved otherwise on numerous occasions.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Mar 2013
In reply to MJ:
> Quite right, Mauna Kea is the tallest.

I thought it was Mount Snowdon?
 Trevers 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to MJ)
> [...]
>
> I thought it was Mount Snowdon?

Mount Scafell Pike is the one you're looking for
 MJ 13 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Depends on your definition and how perdantic you want to be: -

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/BeataUnke.shtml
 deanstonmassif 13 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to AlexBush)
> [...]
>
>
> Cobblers.

No way man; it's not even taller than Beinn Narnain.

FACT
 tony 13 Mar 2013
In reply to deanstonmassif:

He said Cobblers - plural. If you piled two Cobblers one on top of the other, they'd be way higher than Beinn Narnain, easily.
OP AlexBush 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Trevers: Sorry, after a bit more research I have discovered that 'Mount Scafell Pike' is DEFINITELY the highest in the world.
nickyrannoch 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:
> (In reply to Trevers) Sorry, after a bit more research I have discovered that 'Mount Scafell Pike' is DEFINITELY the highest in the world.

Haha it is not even the highest in the UK, the three highest mountains in the UK are Ben Nevis, Mount Snowdon and Scaffold Pike in that order.
 Mr. Lee 13 Mar 2013
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to AlexBush)
>
> 237m of snow buildup on the summit? Really? Just for a few weeks?

Lets hope there isn't a weak bond low down!

OP AlexBush 13 Mar 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch: Thanks for clearing that up Nicky

Not sure about SCAFFOLD pike though. Is that another temporary high peak?
 ewen75 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: Did you know that the "highest point" of the world is actually the "Chimborazo" in south america. The diameter of the earth at the equator is 22 km higher as usual. When Edward Whymper climbed it 1880 he thought it was the highest mountain of the world. Greetings from Bavaria
 Trangia 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to MJ)
> [...]
>
> I thought it was Mount Snowdon?

Isn't Mount Snowdon even higher than Mount Scafell Pike and Mount Ben Nevis, but not as high as Mount Inaccessible Pinnacle, Mount Eiger, Mount Everest or Mount K2? I'm not certain where Mount Brown Willy fits into the scheme of things.
 john arran 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Who is this Ben Nevis of whom you speak, the pikey scaffolder with an inaccessible brown willy?
 ewen75 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: And if no water existed on this planet, the highest peak would be "Manau Kea" on Hawai. 4.205m above sealevel and 5.400m below = total hight of 9.605m. Don`t get me started!!!
 tony 13 Mar 2013
In reply to ewen75:
> Don`t get me started!!!

Started on what?
 ripper 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: you're all wrong, it's Rum Doodle at 40,000 and a half feet, or whatever that is in then newfangled metre thingies.
 ewen75 13 Mar 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to ewen75)
> [...]
>
> Started on what?

I was fighting (a vital debate) with a friend a little while ago, about all this. He didn`t believe me, till he googled it. Now he owes me a beer!!!
 Bonzkars 13 Mar 2013
In reply to MJ:

*pedantic..
 MJ 13 Mar 2013
In reply to bonzka:

*pedantic..

Hook, line, sinker and a copy of the Angling Times...
drmarten 13 Mar 2013
In reply to ewen75:
I'm afraid I'll have to start you
Everest is higher than Manau Kea, but I will accept Manau Kea is taller than Everest.
 Trangia 13 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to AlexBush) you're all wrong, it's Rum Doodle at 40,000 and a half feet, or whatever that is in then newfangled metre thingies.

12,192m give or take a cm or 2

Pritchard 13 Mar 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:
> (In reply to AlexBush)
> [...]
>
> Haha it is not even the highest in the UK, the three highest mountains in the UK are Ben Nevis, Mount Snowdon and Scaffold Pike in that order.

I think you'll find the 3 highest in the UK are Ben Nevis, Ben Macdui and Braeriach

Fat Bumbly2 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Pritchard: Don't beleive the propaganda on Government owned maps.
They inflate the figures like South American countries.... Mount Ingleborough looks much higher.
 deepstar 13 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: With all that snow in Kent surely Betsom`s Hill is the highest.
 Null 14 Mar 2013
In reply to deepstar:
We note in passing that ALL the world's peaks will be shrinking by a metre or so over the next few decades due to rising sea levels. Things are so relative.
In reply to AlexBush: You are all so very wrong as you have forgotten the North East Wilderness Goliath, Mount Roseberry Topping.
 Jonny2vests 14 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:
> Just heard from a friend that for a few weeks a year, when the snow builds up on K2 it actually rises higher than Everest!

Not wanting to appear to sane on an insane thread, but the published heights of Everest and K2 (and many peaks in greater ranges) are both disputed. People get transfixed with measuring the top, but actually the real difficulties lie in knowing where the bottom is.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
In reply to AlexBush: Its clearly Mount Ben Nevis once you add all the banana skins at the top of Tower Ridge
 csw 14 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

I seem to remember the Wrekin being pretty impressive. I expect it's shrunk a bit since 1973....
 WILLS 14 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: I always thought the highest mountain in the United Kingdom was mount paget on South Georgia. At 2934 metres. Highest in Great Britain maybe Ben Nevis. But not UK
 lithos 14 Mar 2013
In reply to WILLS:

excellent pub quiz question / ans
 MJ 15 Mar 2013
In reply to WILLS:

I always thought the highest mountain in the United Kingdom was mount paget on South Georgia. At 2934 metres. Highest in Great Britain maybe Ben Nevis. But not UK

South Georgia is classed as a 'British Overseas Territory' and isn't part of the United Kingdom.
 rossn 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia: I was having a problem a while back when I kept referring to Ben Nevis as Ben Everest?????????????? Obviously because they are so similiar.

RN
 Chris the Tall 20 Mar 2013
In reply to ewen75:
> (In reply to AlexBush) And if no water existed on this planet, the highest peak would be "Manau Kea" on Hawai. 4.205m above sealevel and 5.400m below = total hight of 9.605m. Don`t get me started!!!

But if you measure Everest from the bottom of the Marianas trench, it would be around 19000m high. And if no water existed, it would be even higher, cos being limestone it would have eroded a lot less.
 brokenbanjo 20 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush:

There's snow on Kendal Castle Hill, therefore it is highest. I have never seen a bird fly over it either, so QED.
 ripper 20 Mar 2013
In reply to AlexBush: Lord Hereford's Knob is the biggest if you measure it in 'man inches'. so I've heard.
 Steve John B 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to ewen75)
> [...]
>
> But if you measure Everest from the bottom of the Marianas trench, it would be around 19000m high. And if no water existed, it would be even higher, cos being limestone it would have eroded a lot less.

If no water existed Tim Berners-Lee would never have been born so the World Wide Web would never have been invented and we wouldn't be having this argument...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...