/ A good winters day out in Kerry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
goatee - on 14 Mar 2013
Here's a link to an account of a fine winter climb on Carrauntoohil in Kerry. Conditions were a bit tenuous but in this neck of the woods you take what you can get. http://draft.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=892833285946431240#editor/target=post;postID=6487329199049...

Stephen
Tom G - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:

Tried to access it but gmail says I don't have permission :(
goatee - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Tom G: Sorry Tom, just use howlingmist.blogspot.com. That should get you there.
In reply to goatee: 'A good winters day out in Kerry' - can't be often that phrase gets used. Looks nice
Lukeva - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee: Nice one, I love The Reeks, but I've never seen them in anything other than grey cloud/rain
goatee - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Your not wrong there Dan. It was nice to be able to take advantage of it. Saying that 2010 and 2011 were good in Kerry as well.
goatee - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva: Keep visiting. We get the occasional sunny day :o)
Captain Solo on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:
I know, I was so lucky last August when I visited, 2 clear sunny days coincided with arriving in Killarney. Saw the Reeks at their finest.
Ruth Love - on 19 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee: Replying to this and the Macgillycuddys Reeks thread. I've had it in mind for a while to climb Howling Ridge in winter.I met John Cronin, the first ascensionist, last summer up at Cronin's Yard at the entrance to The Reeks the day after a family wedding (my mother is Irish). I was walking up Cumeenapeasta (Munro equivalent)with my husband.25 years previously John had kindly given us tea at the cottage, this before the cafe existed! There is a framed newspaper article up on the wall of the cafe, telling the story of the first ascent.I feel inspired now to go and climb the route and it will be a great excuse to see the relatives again!Not sure if conditions are suitable that often though.Will report back if I make it over.
goatee - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ruth Love: Hi Ruth, it is a very worthy summer outing as well. Let of know how you get on. If you need any up to date conditions reports etc give of a shout.
Dave Perry - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:
I can concur it is a lovely scramble with most of the upper problems easily bypassed. There are a couple of other harder ridges there too. And probably potential for new routes too.
goatee - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: I agree, it is indeed a great scramble. Personally I think there is no way it should be graded VDiff. Curved Gully ridge is a superior route and has the advantage that it finishes on the summit. I think by now most anything of quality has been done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.