UKC

A good winters day out in Kerry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 14 Mar 2013
Here's a link to an account of a fine winter climb on Carrauntoohil in Kerry. Conditions were a bit tenuous but in this neck of the woods you take what you can get. http://draft.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=892833285946431240#editor/target=...

Stephen
 Tom G 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:

Tried to access it but gmail says I don't have permission
OP goatee 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Tom G: Sorry Tom, just use howlingmist.blogspot.com. That should get you there.
In reply to goatee: 'A good winters day out in Kerry' - can't be often that phrase gets used. Looks nice
 Lukeva 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee: Nice one, I love The Reeks, but I've never seen them in anything other than grey cloud/rain
OP goatee 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Your not wrong there Dan. It was nice to be able to take advantage of it. Saying that 2010 and 2011 were good in Kerry as well.
OP goatee 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva: Keep visiting. We get the occasional sunny day
 Captain Solo 14 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:
I know, I was so lucky last August when I visited, 2 clear sunny days coincided with arriving in Killarney. Saw the Reeks at their finest.
Ruth Love 19 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee: Replying to this and the Macgillycuddys Reeks thread. I've had it in mind for a while to climb Howling Ridge in winter.I met John Cronin, the first ascensionist, last summer up at Cronin's Yard at the entrance to The Reeks the day after a family wedding (my mother is Irish). I was walking up Cumeenapeasta (Munro equivalent)with my husband.25 years previously John had kindly given us tea at the cottage, this before the cafe existed! There is a framed newspaper article up on the wall of the cafe, telling the story of the first ascent.I feel inspired now to go and climb the route and it will be a great excuse to see the relatives again!Not sure if conditions are suitable that often though.Will report back if I make it over.
OP goatee 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ruth Love: Hi Ruth, it is a very worthy summer outing as well. Let of know how you get on. If you need any up to date conditions reports etc give of a shout.
 Billhook 20 Mar 2013
In reply to goatee:
I can concur it is a lovely scramble with most of the upper problems easily bypassed. There are a couple of other harder ridges there too. And probably potential for new routes too.
OP goatee 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: I agree, it is indeed a great scramble. Personally I think there is no way it should be graded VDiff. Curved Gully ridge is a superior route and has the advantage that it finishes on the summit. I think by now most anything of quality has been done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...