UKC

New car or fix old one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 18 Mar 2013
Hi,

Ford mondeo 2006 2.0TDCI with 100,000 miles on clock...with broken timing chain...£1000 to fix...car value about £2000 when fixed.

Question is do I fix it or scrap it?

I could buy a smaller fiesta 1.3 diesel 2010 zetec done 20,000 miles on finance for £160 per month with no deposit.

Thing is based on running cost (insurance, tax and fuel) the fiesta is £990 cheaper per year to run so effectively I would be paying only £83 per month extra.

What would you do?
 gear boy 18 Mar 2013
In reply to phja: fix it, sell it, then get new car
OP phja 18 Mar 2013
In reply to gear boy:

Thanks, yer thats what I was thinking...annoying since in the last 6 months I've spend £1100 on it (tyres, clutch, brakes and battery)

Sooo frustrating!!!
redsonja 18 Mar 2013
In reply to phja: is the mondeo very reliable? if you fixed it, would it last you a lot longer? probably i would scrap the mondeo and buy the fiesta- they're great little cars and cheap to run, as you say
 dunc56 18 Mar 2013
In reply to phja: Careful having it fixed. I would go for a replacement engine. have look on ebay.

I had mine fixed after a snapped belt - asked them to check valve seats were ok. They said fine. Then one dropped, bang. £700 top end rebuild up in smoke.
 Jim Fraser 20 Mar 2013
In reply to phja:

A Ford is like a wheeled version of a disposable napkin. Invest in piece of fine linen. Get an old BMW or Audi, the simplest version you can find, with a decent history, and it will serve you well.
 butteredfrog 20 Mar 2013
In reply to phja:

Secondhand engine, if you can find one yourself, get the garage to fit it. It would not be too cheeky to then ask for the old engine back. Fuel injectors, fuel pump etc could be sold on Ebay to recoup some costs.

Sell now running Mondeo (after a thorough clean and polish) for maximum profit.

Then decide weather to go the finance route or replace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...