Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Ice axe advice.

Cadairmanuk - on 23 Mar 2013
Good evening people. I'm after some advice on where to go with my axes?

I basically lost my fly hammer in the cairngorms last month when I stupidly placed it on the floor after completing hells lum and watched it slide off over the edge bye bye axe. So I need a new hammer.

I love the flys and at my grade 2/3 they do what I expect. I really do not like the chocker leashes on them. On one climb I was at full stretch and had my wrist stuck in the leash, I couldn't pull the axe out as at full stretch and I wasn't sure of the hold to commit to the move.

So my question is ? Would just having standard flys with clipped leashes into the bottoms of the axe without trig rests be good practise? with me climbing low grade gripping the shaft should be sufficient, if I need to let go to place screws or retrieve them then the axe is still attached via a leash to my harness. I can't be doing with the faff of chocker leashes.

I know maybe my technic is to blame rather then the dmm chocker leashes but after 3 years I need to move on.

Ben
... not showing 15 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums