UKC

Ben More (Mull) in winter, conditions? reviews?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barratt 23 Mar 2013
Planning on doing Ben More at the weekend. anyone have experience of Ben More in winter? Even better, anyone been that way recently?
 jfmchivall 23 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

Not been that way recently.

It's a big mountain, the tallest Munro south of the Tay. The northern slope down to the road is pretty much uniform. It's reasonably prone to avalanche in the right conditions - some pretty big slides occasionally come off it, so take the usual precautions. Best combined with Stob Binnein as the reascent is much less than doing SB on its own and it's only another couple of km out and back. Watch the descent W from the col between the two, given the recent easterlies - there may be a fair bit of windslab about and it's a steep, runout slope.

Have fun!
Douglas Griffin 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jfmchivall:

> Best combined with Stob Binnein

Bit of a long day, I'd have thought!

(Hint: re-read the thread title.)
 jfmchivall 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Oh bollocks. Sorry! *slaps wrist, resolves to go to bed and not stare bleary-eyed at the monitor any more...*
 Colin Moody 23 Mar 2013
> Planning on doing Ben More at the weekend.

Next week or tomorrow?

Snow down to the sea today which is unusual this late in the year, there is also a lot of ice on the hills. It was very cold with gale force winds today so I didn't go for a walk, and there was a lot of spindrift coming off the hill.
 CMcBain 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Colin Moody:

Apologies for slight hi-jack but I shall also be at Mull next weekend, I'm guessing my dream of sun soaked beaches and climbing at Erraid may be a little optimistic?
 Siward 24 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Did the NE ridge a few years ago in winter which was a great, entertaining day out. Mind you, our tent blew down the night before but the day dawned clear and sunny.
 Colin Moody 24 Mar 2013
In reply to CMcBain:

It would be fine if you could switch off the wind.
OP David Barratt 24 Mar 2013
In reply to CMcBain: haha, no sun bathing. you might have to join me Calum! (and yes next weekend (29th-31), not this weekend)
andymac 24 Mar 2013

I was on Ben More today .may have ran past you on the way down.

was rather refreshing up there today.and bloody slippy.

Quite a few hardy souls setting off when I got to the bottom

Colin Moody 27 Mar 2013

Still fairly white this afternoon, most other hills on the island are free of snow.
OP David Barratt 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Colin Moody: Thanks, heading up friday night. can't wait!
OP David Barratt 01 Apr 2013
In reply to andymac: I think we might have met you up there. very windy on the col, lovely on the summit. do-able without the crampons.
andymac 01 Apr 2013

were you with a party of young 20 somethings.

or were you the old bloke with the young bloke
or the young bloke(montane top)with the old bloke.

biting wind on the col ,but rather pleasant on the summit.
OP David Barratt 02 Apr 2013
In reply to andymac: We were the young 20 somethings. mostly blonde, two going a bit faster and the three of us trailing behind. great day. 4.5 hours up and down, bet you did it a bit quicker!
andymac 02 Apr 2013

Remember you lot.did you all come out of that black shiny Fiesta?

Hope I didn`t insult the girl out in front(blonde,Paramo smock);

I mistook her accent (Inverness or Aberdeen she said she was from) ....

I asked her if she was German.

was up in 59 mins .down in 35-40 (gingerish descent coming of summit)

Hope you left a morsel for the Gods at the summit.I usually leave a bit of banana.

OP David Barratt 02 Apr 2013
In reply to andymac: Yeah, we were from the 'clean' fiesta! we had a good laugh about the accent, I think we looked quite Germanic, especially with Anna's red soft-shells. and thanks for solving the banana mystery! I almost sat on it. not a tradition I'm familiar with but I like it.
 Anna_wells 02 Apr 2013
In reply to andymac:

i am un-offended!
andymac 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Anna_wells:

Das ist gut Anna.

Glad you all enjoyed your Mull trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...