UKC

New Mills Torr route question please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deacondeacon 28 Mar 2013
Should be easy to answer for a local or regular.
Is 'Sandman the same route as Soiled Goods' and if so is it called Sandman because it's a massive sandbag?
Cheers Deacon
In reply to deacondeacon: They are two different routes. Sandman goes up to the top of the crag starting in the corner right of alcove crack. Soiled goods goes up just right of the same corner but tops out on the big ledge. Not done them, so don't know if it's a sandbag. I think it's called sandman just because the corner is dirty. Info on these routes is in the Over The Moors guide.

I moderate the crag and will try and update the info a bit more when I next get a chance.
OP deacondeacon 28 Mar 2013
In reply to David Kirsfelds:
Thats great, thanks David. There is a bit of a discrepancy in the route description for Sandman in the UKC logbook as well as a photo of someone climbing sandman but stating it as 'soiled goods'.
Felt like hard E2 for me today but it was a little icy, I'll go back for 'soiled goods' soon.
Cheers again
Deacon
 Al Evans 29 Mar 2013
In reply to deacondeacon: As the first ascenionist of Sandman, that was the only route up the wall at the time so I have no idea about Soiled Goods, I thought I had given it a tough grade in keeping with the grades at NMT at the time. It wasn't intended to be a sandbag.
OP deacondeacon 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: No worries Al, I thought it felt like a stiff E2, another guy at the crag reckoned it felt about E3. Tbh (as you'll know) the routes have a habit of changing over time so you're likely to have been spot on with your grading.
Just seemed like quite a coincidence to be called sandman and being stiff for the grade.
It saved the day for us yesterday being the only snowless crag for probably 100 miles
 wilkie14c 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Nice NMT feature in climber this month al, I can scan and email if interested and unable to get a copy
 Al Evans 29 Mar 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Nice NMT feature in climber this month al, I can scan and email if interested and unable to get a copy

That would be great, thanks a bunch in advance.
 wilkie14c 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: No worries, it'll be tomorrow, the scanner is in the office at work
 Al Evans 29 Mar 2013
In reply to deacondeacon: Yep. it's not one of the 'great' crags but it has its value when the weather is shit. Are the bolted routes on the viaduct still there, are they ever done?
OP deacondeacon 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans: There was chalk on them so I imagine so, although I'm not sure how popular they are. I climbed a few of them last year and they're actually pretty good.
 mmmhumous 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

They do indeed Al, especially after the latest guidebook came out with them in)... These days though, most of the action seems to be on the V6 and V7 traverses, and the boulder problems. The bridge seems to get almost as much action as the main crag. Rock wall and playgroup walls are both neglected, unclimbed and overgrown these days. Are any of your routes on them worth the effort of cleaning up?

Has anyone done the Orignial route since a chuck of it fell/was trundled off? The treaverse felt more like HVD/S (but then again I did spend more time trying to clean up the traverse than climb it).
 DrGeoff 29 Mar 2013
In reply to deacondeacon: I've started going down there in the evenings this winter, as you can climb pretty easily in the dark (some of the bolted lines on the bridge are flood-lit!). A head torch helps a bit on the rock-wall though, although several boulder problems are fully lit. In regards it not being considered a 'great' crag, I disagree, and hopefully time will prove me right! Instead it's refreshingly different, that's all. (That fact it has a first rate fish and chip shop + curry houses at the top of the walk-in also helps!).

One question I have though, is do many many climb just around the corner from the main wall, along the Sett? The rock looks pretty green, but there are some clear lines (hopefully not too loose). Or are there top-out restrictions on them???

Cheers

Geoff
 mmmhumous 29 Mar 2013
In reply to DrGeoff:
If memory serves, the council like you climbing directly above the foot paths (probably sensible given the loose nature of the rock and use the paths get). Playgroup wall is in play though: http://www.wikitopo.com/crag.php?cragId=466 I'm not sure what the access situation is for Rock wall though.
 DrGeoff 29 Mar 2013
In reply to mmmhumous: Hi, I hope were you missing a crucial "don't" from that reply????

I'll check the playgroup wall out, thanks for the link.

Geoff
 mmmhumous 29 Mar 2013
In reply to DrGeoff:
> (In reply to mmmhumous) Hi, I hope were you missing a crucial "don't" from that reply????

Indeed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...