/ Lee Child Books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
Okay...I've tried many times to get into his books, but I find his over punctuated style SO irritating. His book don't flow for me at all; he uses full stops every 4/5 words!

Is it just me that finds this?
Al Evans on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Actually Lee Child is a friend of mine, his real name is Jim Grant and he was Shop Steward when I was his deputy. I just watched the Jack Reacher film and thought it was crap compared to the books. Just an action movie and far less cerebral than the books.
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Really? That's cool..

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the actual story is very good; it's just his style that doesn't work well with me. I guess with anything like this it's very much personal taste...

Ianto Bach - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I have read a few. The books are not bad. Nothing of real substance. Some interesting plot themes continued. Easy reading escapist genre.

Irritating thread response over ;)

I
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Ianto Bach: Oh, there's always one isn't there ;)

In reply to Chay: I like them. He's no Dostoevsky, but his books are an enjoyable read - well-plotted IMO.
Ianto Bach - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

On here there's hundreds...

I
In reply to Al Evans: You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"

)))
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I suspect you're absolutely right; I just wish I could get past the constant full stops!
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: A similar genre- if you like Lee Child give Peter Robinson books a go; easy reading and centered around a detective- Excellent books.
coinneach - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I enjoy them, pure escapist nonsense but well written.

I've never noticed lots of full stops.

But now that you've raised the subject I probably will.

.......................... Bastard!

:-)
fi89 - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

At first I thought it was badly written, now the full stops just makes me giggle....
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to Chay) A similar genre- if you like Lee Child give Peter Robinson books a go; easy reading and centered around a detective- Excellent books.

"In a Dry Season" and "Before the Poison" are especially good.
stroppygob - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Revenge pablum for Americans.
Chay - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I think aftermath and playing with fire are my favorite of the ones I've read so far!

I do like his work, very easy to read and well written- gripping.

C
Blue Straggler - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Al Evans) You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"
>
> )))
Check out LCD Soundsystem's "Losing My Edge" :-)
Rob Naylor - on 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

OK for a bit of escapism, but got very samey after the first couple, although the violence, body counts and implausibility increase with each one.

A lot of the "technical expertise" stuff he shows off is just plain wrong.
Al Evans on 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Al Evans) You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"
>
> )))

But I actually do know Jim quite well, he was made redundant (because he was shop steward) and started to write for a living. I having survived the cuts was studio manager when we I/viewed him on This Morning as Lee Childs. We had a bit of a chat about old times and he said to me.
"Al, if you want to make a million, get made redundant and write a book"
Would that I had that capability, good luck to Lee/Jim he was a great shop steward and I like his books.
Ava Adore - on 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Currently reading Bad Luck and Trouble and after seeing this thread I consciously looked for the overuse of full stop thing. I really couldn't see it. So yep, just you :-)
wilkie14c - on 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
I found one on a train and read it at the airport going and coming back from the Alps last year. Bit far fetched BUT it is fiction, it was a story and it was entertaining. Raise the Titanic it was called IIRC
anonymouse - on 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
It comes and goes. Sometime it is very obvious.

I like the Reacher books. They're silly, and fun, but ultimately not especially interesting. The moral situation he inhabits in every single book is extremely dubious, but it's treated as being a case of absolute good (channeled by Reacher) versus absolute bad (embodied by whoever it is he's up against). I would like to see Reacher ploughing into a morally complex situation if only for the laughs.
Co1in H - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:Read them all, like them. Never noticed the full stops.
Good for my long train journeys.
Caralynh - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Liked the first few I read, but generally they're all quite samey.
escudoturbo - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Maybe try Michael Connoly's 'Harry Bosch' books - not quite the same a the Reacher books but still fun crime novels with a troubled hero type.
Chay - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to escudoturbo: Think I may have picked some of his work up from a book shop and not got around to reading it yet; I'll have to dig it out!

C
ads.ukclimbing.com
coinneach - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to escudoturbo:

I second Michael Connolly.................they're really good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.