UKC

Lee Child Books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 02 Apr 2013
Okay...I've tried many times to get into his books, but I find his over punctuated style SO irritating. His book don't flow for me at all; he uses full stops every 4/5 words!

Is it just me that finds this?
 Al Evans 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Actually Lee Child is a friend of mine, his real name is Jim Grant and he was Shop Steward when I was his deputy. I just watched the Jack Reacher film and thought it was crap compared to the books. Just an action movie and far less cerebral than the books.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Really? That's cool..

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the actual story is very good; it's just his style that doesn't work well with me. I guess with anything like this it's very much personal taste...

Ianto Bach 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I have read a few. The books are not bad. Nothing of real substance. Some interesting plot themes continued. Easy reading escapist genre.

Irritating thread response over

I
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Ianto Bach: Oh, there's always one isn't there

Yanis Nayu 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I like them. He's no Dostoevsky, but his books are an enjoyable read - well-plotted IMO.
 Ianto Bach 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

On here there's hundreds...

I
 Yanis Nayu 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Al Evans: You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"

)))
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I suspect you're absolutely right; I just wish I could get past the constant full stops!
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: A similar genre- if you like Lee Child give Peter Robinson books a go; easy reading and centered around a detective- Excellent books.
 coinneach 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I enjoy them, pure escapist nonsense but well written.

I've never noticed lots of full stops.

But now that you've raised the subject I probably will.

.......................... Bastard!

fi89 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

At first I thought it was badly written, now the full stops just makes me giggle....
 Yanis Nayu 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to Chay) A similar genre- if you like Lee Child give Peter Robinson books a go; easy reading and centered around a detective- Excellent books.

"In a Dry Season" and "Before the Poison" are especially good.
In reply to Chay: Revenge pablum for Americans.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I think aftermath and playing with fire are my favorite of the ones I've read so far!

I do like his work, very easy to read and well written- gripping.

C
 Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Al Evans) You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"
>
> )))
Check out LCD Soundsystem's "Losing My Edge"
 Rob Naylor 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

OK for a bit of escapism, but got very samey after the first couple, although the violence, body counts and implausibility increase with each one.

A lot of the "technical expertise" stuff he shows off is just plain wrong.
 Al Evans 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Al Evans) You remind me of Tom Jones on The Voice - "I knew Elvis!"
>
> )))

But I actually do know Jim quite well, he was made redundant (because he was shop steward) and started to write for a living. I having survived the cuts was studio manager when we I/viewed him on This Morning as Lee Childs. We had a bit of a chat about old times and he said to me.
"Al, if you want to make a million, get made redundant and write a book"
Would that I had that capability, good luck to Lee/Jim he was a great shop steward and I like his books.
 Ava Adore 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Currently reading Bad Luck and Trouble and after seeing this thread I consciously looked for the overuse of full stop thing. I really couldn't see it. So yep, just you
 wilkie14c 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
I found one on a train and read it at the airport going and coming back from the Alps last year. Bit far fetched BUT it is fiction, it was a story and it was entertaining. Raise the Titanic it was called IIRC
 anonymouse 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
It comes and goes. Sometime it is very obvious.

I like the Reacher books. They're silly, and fun, but ultimately not especially interesting. The moral situation he inhabits in every single book is extremely dubious, but it's treated as being a case of absolute good (channeled by Reacher) versus absolute bad (embodied by whoever it is he's up against). I would like to see Reacher ploughing into a morally complex situation if only for the laughs.
 Co1in H 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:Read them all, like them. Never noticed the full stops.
Good for my long train journeys.
 Caralynh 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Liked the first few I read, but generally they're all quite samey.
escudoturbo 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Maybe try Michael Connoly's 'Harry Bosch' books - not quite the same a the Reacher books but still fun crime novels with a troubled hero type.
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to escudoturbo: Think I may have picked some of his work up from a book shop and not got around to reading it yet; I'll have to dig it out!

C
 coinneach 07 Apr 2013
In reply to escudoturbo:

I second Michael Connolly.................they're really good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...