Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Snow hole tips & questions.

ablackett - on 05 Apr 2013
Just got back from a trip to Cairngorm where we dug and slept in a snow hole, it was fantastic fun and I wanted to share a few tips and ask a few questions for next time.

Tips

* Take a good shovel each so you can all dig, a saw for hard snow, and a probe for measuring the drift depth.
* We dug 2 doors, and dug towards each other so we were both working, then blocked up 1 door, this seemed to be a good system.
* Have a range of sites in mind, as the snow might not be deep enough or too hard at some sites.
* Construct a good shelf for all your clobber!
* Keep an axe and shovel inside so you can dig out of the frozen door block in the morning.
* Smooth the roof to keep drips to a minimum.
* It takes a long time - 2 hours in perfect snow to dig a 3 man hole, much longer in hard snow.
* Dig just wearing waterproofs, keep the base layers dry for night time.

Questions
* How much of a ventilation hole do we need to prevent suffocation? If it is snowing outside, do we need to keep opening up the vent or will we be ok for a night?
* How big can we make the hole without danger of a roof collapse?

Any other tips or quesions
... not showing 11 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums