UKC

N.Wales Summer Meet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 05 Apr 2013
Okay..prompted by the on-going summer meet thread; would there be call for a similar thing in North Wales- I'd not be able to make the one in the thread due to distance; I suspect others are in the same situation.

I'm talking July- I'm in the alps during the last two weeks of June; I don't mind organizing things if there's enough call for it. Pretty relaxed: Campsite/Bunk house, pub and plenty of climbing over the course of a weekend.

Let's see how this thread goes before going any further; we can see the demand for it and then go from there.
 Skyfall 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Can you guarantee sunshine?
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Unfortunately not; but I will have a word and see what I can do
Jamming Dodger 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Im up for it so long as its not the weekend of 20/21st (got my triathlon that Sunday).
Again, the bike will be coming along...

OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger: If there's enough interest I'll send out a bunch of emails and see which weekend suits everyone best; there'd again have to be a cap on numbers I'd have thought.

Looking for people to pitch in with thoughts and suggestions as well.
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger: P.s - I could be keen on a ride one of the days/evenings btw.
Jamming Dodger 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: An evening ride would be lovely if its sunny.
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Already some interest for this:

Venue depends on peoples wants and needs; I'd be happy camping and head to:

http://www.heartofsnowdonia.co.uk/dgcampsite.htm - cheap and cheerful with a nice pub near by and B&B for those that want it. However, if folk want bunkhouse options we may need to rethink that.

There'll be plenty of cars for sharing to crags and climbs; with people climbing at all levels.
 EeeByGum 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Chay)
>
> Can you guarantee sunshine?

The sun always shines in Tremadog.... as long as it isn't raining!
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: Tremadog is an option.

Once we have some names, I'll set up a little poll of location/date and folk can vote accordingly.

ripper 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Chay)
>
> Can you guarantee sunshine?

Doesn't the sun always shine at Tremadog?
In reply to ripper: yes, above the cloud though.
In reply to Chay: Count me in.
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Great, I'll send you the email with options/details once we have enough numbers!

C
 Caralynh 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

J and I would be interested, depending on dates and my shifts. Would turn up in the van so no need for accommodation, just somewhere to park up.
 danpyrs 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: I would be interested as well.
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Excellent guys, more the merrier!
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to danpyrs: Dan, YHM btw.
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Anyone else keen for this?
 lost1977 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

think you might as well count me in
OP Chay 05 Apr 2013
In reply to lost1977: Excellent!
 dave frost 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Definitely interested if i could get a lift from Chester ,or somewhere else. Traveling from Gloucester and don't drive. Will obviously chip in for fuel costs etc.

Cheers
Dave
 Peakpdr 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

If im around count me in.. I usualy pack the van and travel round Great Britain in the summer
Jamming Dodger 06 Apr 2013
In reply to pauldr: Hey Paul, be good to catch up if you can make it. If you're over this way give me a shout on FB and we'll arrange a climb now the weathers improved a little!
OP Chay 06 Apr 2013
In reply to pauldr: Excellent!
OP Chay 06 Apr 2013
In reply to dave frost: Sure that wouldn't be a massive problem!

C
silo 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Hi,

I'm visiting the UK and will be in N wales from the 1st Aug.

Simon
OP Chay 06 Apr 2013
In reply to silo: The weekend would be in July unfortunately; not sure whether you could make that?

Anyone else?

C
 davegs 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to silo) The weekend would be in July unfortunately; not sure whether you could make that?
>
> Anyone else?
>
> C

I would be up for it.

Not the weekend of Saturday 20th July though. International Snowdon Race is on, and i'm running it

OP Chay 06 Apr 2013
In reply to davegs: Might be good to avoid that weekend anyway given the race? Could be very busy.

C
 davegs 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

600 runners from all over the UK and Europe.

Not sure if it would make a difference but the schools break up on Friday 19th July.
OP Chay 06 Apr 2013
In reply to davegs: Definitely avoid 19th/20th then!
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Currently 11 interested so it's looking good so far; anyone else keen for the weekend?

OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: bump.
 alpinismo.uk 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
i would be interested if the dates work.
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to deb.uk: Excellent. There'll be an email to all interested with pissible weekends and then a little poll; the weekend that works best for everyone will be the one.

Weekend of the 20th is out due to the Snowdon Marathon.

C
 Puppythedog 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I'm interested. I cannot commit one hundred per cent right now but I am definitely interested.
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to puppythedog: That's fine,

If you're happy with camping then there's no need to commit; if you'd rather stay in a bunkhouse/B&B you'll have to let me know asap.

C
 Puppythedog 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I am happy to camp, with camping I might be able to convince Mrs the Dog that it's a holiday for us both but that i will climb on one of the days
 lost1977 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

camping would be best for me
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to lost1977: Once we've let this thread run a bit I'll send an email out to everyone; folk can select which option they'd prefer (camping/bunkhouse/B&B) and the weekend of choice and then I'll book things.

If enough folk are happy with camping, this is MUCH easier than bunkhouses- people aren't commited, don't have to pay me for the bunkhouse and risk losing anything etc but we'll see what people want.

Also camping will be nice if there weather is good, BBQ and beers etc.

C
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: p.s even if I have to book a bunkhouse; ther'll be camping too!
Jamming Dodger 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I think you could struggle to get committment from a number of people given this is planned for 3 months away... Camping may be the way to go if you want to set dates already. Or people can make their own arrangements and we'll all meet in the middle somewhere. I may do a there and back in one day.
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamming Dodger: If you need took an entire bunkhouse it needs to be a while in advance; especially during the summer.

This is why I'm hoping camping suits people; it's just easier and if people have a chance of situation it isn't an issue etc.

C
OP Chay 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: It'll be something along the lines of such and such a weekend; folk staying at such and such a campsite and climbing for the weekend and meeting in a given pub.

Other than that people can come and go whenever and stay elsewhere if they choose; pretty laid back.

C
OP Chay 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Few more on board for this now! Anyone else?
OP Chay 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: bump
 climb.jlr 09 Apr 2013
I'd be interested if it were late July.
OP Chay 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Leaving this run 'till the weekend folks and then sending out details.

Anyone else up for it?
Love 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: count me in
OP Chay 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Love: Excellent!
Love 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: you say that now.
OP Chay 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Bump
OP Chay 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Most likely the weekend will be the weekend of the 14/5th of June; camping arrangements rather than bunkhouse due to commitment issues.

An email will be going out to all that are intrested.

C
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

So...the same weekend as the Summer Climbing Meet!
OP Chay 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Oh, is that right?

Okay, I'll re-think dates then.
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Sorry! Am interested in this meet too, by the way, but was just waiting to see what dates you were looking at - thought you were looking at July originally?
OP Chay 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Did I not put July?! Doh!

14/15th July!
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Ah, now that makes sense. Sadly, counts me out as I shall be in Andalucia then (hence wanting to know what dates in July) but don't let that worry you
OP Chay 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: It's tricky; the Snowdon Marathon is on the weekend of the 20th so it'll be way too busy then. Also the kids break up then so the following weekend will have the same probablem. So that leaves either of this first two.

C
OP Chay 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Anyone else want in or am I free to send confirmation date/place emails?
 dasc 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I'm interested ,weather permitting !
 Caralynh 12 Apr 2013
In reply to dasc:

I'm on shift that weekend, sorry.
 JohnHutch 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Just looked at forum for first time in a while. I'd be interested, although can't defo commit yet.
OP Chay 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: There will be an email along later today to all interested.

C
OP Chay 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Hi Folks,

Firstly, thank you for all the interest in the North Wales Summer meet; the plan is as follows:

The weekend will be the weekend of the 14th of July; everyone is welcome to come whenever they like- I'll no doubt be staying on the Friday/Saturday nights. The only accommodation that I have sorted is camping due to people not being able to commit to bunkhouse bookings/prices:

http://www.heartofsnowdonia.co.uk/dgcampsite.htm

The above place is where the meet will be; I think it satisfies everything; good location for all climbing areas/close to a local pub and a really quiet friendly site that's cheap (£5) with good facilities. I have spoken to the owner, and it's fine to just turn up even with quite a large group- he stressed the importance of it being a friendly site and wanted to ensure that we'd not be stupidly loud and acting like drunken idiots, so we of course need to be respectful...even after beers.

There'll be plenty of cars for car-sharing to crags etc Other than that, things are pretty open ended. There is a B&B available at the site- £32 per night with breakfast if people are interested; please arrange this with him in advance.

I look forward to meeting you all; sorry for it all being decided, I just think it's easier than having a big debate. If I give you a date and place then it's easier for folks to plan!

If you have any questions please email me!

Chay
 dave frost 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Brilliant stuff.

So, next issue for me is a lift. If anyone is going on the Friday night after work with a spare seat in their car i'd appreciate a lift. I'll chip in with a share of the petrol and a bit of banter.

I'll be traveling from Gloucester but will be happy to meet people en-route in somewhere like chester / shrewsbury / birmingham / etc.

Cheers
Dave
OP Chay 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: If anyone would like me to email them the above details for the weekend, let me know.

C
 PontiusPirate 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I'm interested, but that's a date that's likely to clash with other events - I'll keep it in the diary and see what transpires...

PP.
OP Chay 16 Apr 2013
In reply to PontiusPirate: Okay, cool!
 Puppythedog 01 May 2013
In reply to Chay: Just looked back at this thread to find a date so 14th July ish? If that doesn't conflict with my move to Essex (not sure when that is happneing) I'm sure MrsTheDog an dI will be there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...