UKC

State of the Peak District - Snow etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John_Hat 05 Apr 2013
Hiya folks...

Thinking about heading off to Stanage/Birchen/Burbage/Bamford (to be honest probably Stanage) sort of thing tomorrow, but its a 90min drive and I've got a lot of household chores to do, so don't want to waste a 3 hour round trip.

Hence was wondering if anyone could let me know what the state of play is, whether the rock has ice patches, wet, etc.

As I'll be soloing air temperature is not a problem, but icy top-outs are..

Ta folks!
 deacondeacon 05 Apr 2013
In reply to John_Hat: if you can head to western grit instead you're more likely to have a good day. Although if it has to be eastern grit wharnecliffe looked pretty snow free when going past earlier and it's a pretty solo friendly crag.
 Crofty 05 Apr 2013
In reply to John_Hat: BBC Look North reported last night the danger of falling snow from the top of climbs as things thaw.
A mate was there recently and his photos on the link below show there to be some areas totally free of snow. I think you will be fine, just watch out for the odd bit of snow that might fall.
http://yorkclimbers.com/profiles/blogs/snowballing-sendage?xg_source=activi...
OP John_Hat 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Crofty:

Cool, looks positive, I'll give it a try.

Not on bl**dy E7s though

Pottering up Vdiffs to Severes with my shoulder. Had another MRI scan this week to see what's gone wrong now...
 Ramblin dave 07 Apr 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
So, erm, has anyone had a look at Eastern grit today? Is it all still a bit white unless you're into snowballing?
 deepsoup 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
I did a few routes at Froggatt yesterday and it was absolutely lovely - there are some biggish drifts at the bottom and a bit of wet rock, but plenty to go at.
 BusyLizzie 07 Apr 2013
In reply to John_Hat: Birchen Edge was delightful yesterday - warm sunshine, dry rock.
 Si dH 07 Apr 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
Stangage still very deep banks of snow and cornices in places, I wouldnt risk it personally if not snowballing, youd be much better off at somewhere like froggatt
OP John_Hat 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Si dH:

Yup, Stanage is very, very snowy. A lot of it unclimbable. I'd say it wasn't a total disaster though, I took my decent camera and got some lovely shots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...