UKC

Denham Quarry damaged again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RagingSphere 08 Apr 2013
So I can't help but feel controversy follows me around. Last year I was posting about bolt holes and crampon scratches at Denham and big ass screw threads at Anglezarke.

This year its about more damage done at Denham by a bunch of fools wanting to make the Overhang area into a giant traversing wall. They have done some serious chipping on the wall just below Funny Farm and seemed extremely proud of themselves and their achievements of destruction.

Images are here:
http://tinyurl.com/celxzuo

To top it off they then decide its a good idea to laugh at my wife and take the p*ss out of her as she is stuck halfway up a solo and too scared to move.

All I can say is what a great bunch of guys they are.

Mark
 jon 08 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

No pictures of the culprits then?
OP RagingSphere 08 Apr 2013
In reply to jon:

Unfortunately I was in too much of a hurry to get to the top to drop a rope down to the mrs to stop and take pictures of the culprits.

I can tell you what they drive if you like? Not the reg numbers but the model & colour.
 jon 08 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

Yes, why not. The more info the better so folk may be able to recognise them.
OP RagingSphere 08 Apr 2013
In reply to jon:

Well two vehicles, the first was a white Ford Transit with a flat bed.

The second vehicle was a Nissan Micra (03-10 model) in Silver with a very light blue tint, the vehicle had steel wheels and only 3 hub caps.

The tools of the damage were what appeared to be a brick bolster chisel and a large rubber mallet.
 Mark Collins 08 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: Sorry to hear about this damage Mark and your unpleasant experience. Thanks for posting though, its good to keep this in the forefront of our minds so we can be vigilant in the future.

I haven't made it to Denham yet this year, as I've been spending most of my time at Anglezarke. Oddly, people camped there on Friday night. It's not the first time, but I could think of better places than a hole in the ground especially in this cold weather. I haven't seen any damage there so far this year.
 wilkie14c 08 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:
Hi Mark
You know I can't shake the feeling that by use of a rubber mallet was intentional to dull down any hammering noise and quell any interest while it was going on. A lump hammer would of course have been a far more suitable tool for the job. If this is the case, it can only back up a theory that these people knew exactly what they were doing.
 wheelo 09 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: it looks like the low level traverse on the pond wall has also been "improved" a bit with a few rough new chips
 Calder 09 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

I was there Friday afternoon and saw a couple of transit style flatbed vans as I drove away. One came in the car park as I was packing up, the other 2 were just driving along Holt Ln, so can't be sure they were headed to Denham.

I thought it was odd there were so many around, but figured they were just tradesmen using the car park for a quiet afternoon brew (which these ones may well have been doing)! Didn't pay too much attention if I'm honest, so can't remember the colour.

I didn't go down to the overhangs either, so didn't see this whether any of this had already been started. But what I really don't get, is if they want what is essentially a manufactured climbing wall, why don't they go to a climbing wall or find some wall with appropriate brickwork? I may make a point of going more often now.
In reply to monkeymark:

Twunts!

There was always plenty of low level traversing to be had under the overhangs even for an old bumbly like me. Such blatant vandalism is a total nonsense. OK there were a couple of blankish sections that most mortals would find nigh on impossible to cross -- so what's wrong with doing as I did and stepping down and walking past that which you're not good enough to climb -- or learning how to get past them - though it may involve moving up a bit higher than your comfort zone or common sense dictates that you should go!

What next -- turn 'Mohammed' into a juggy V Diff?
 Rock Badger 09 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: fill their chipped holds with some dog turd,, pay back for laughing at your misses rather than offering a hand,,,
 Mark Collins 09 Apr 2013
In reply to count: Good call, there's plenty of those at Denham.
 Mark Collins 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: Question to all, do you think it is worth filling the chips back in with cement or some other substance, or would this act merely inflame the situation? If the answer is yes to filling, I may get time to do it but not sure when.
 robin mueller 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

> Images are here:
http://tinyurl.com/celxzuo

Well that's sodding annoying. There is a good 7A+ straight up problem on that wall, with a 7B sitter. Looks like they've probably wrecked it. Idiots.

> (In reply to Mark Collins) Question to all, do you think it is worth filling the chips back in with cement or some other substance, or would this act merely inflame the situation? If the answer is yes to filling, I may get time to do it but not sure when.

Yes, I'd be in favour of filling it in. I have a vid somewhere of how the wall used to look - I think there might have been tiny edges there that they have enlarged.
 Rock Badger 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: i vote for said substance to be either dog turd or grease. Not that ive ever been to the place or plan on going, so maybe my vote doesnt count
 Calder 09 Apr 2013

Would it last or would it need redoing after every harsh winter? If the latter I'd say don't bother. Would some resin based stuff be better than cement?

I hope this doesn't become commonplace. Repair this and they go chip the f*ck out Brownstones or something.

It's going to end in a full on war.
 Rock Badger 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Calder: Do you think they'd just re chip out anything put in, and would it not be alot easier to chip out any filler? when compared to chipping the original rock.
 Calder 09 Apr 2013
In reply to count: Don't know. My mind clearly doesn't work anything like theirs.
 robin mueller 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Mark Collins)
>
> Would it last or would it need redoing after every harsh winter? If the latter I'd say don't bother. Would some resin based stuff be better than cement?
>

From what I've heard, resin based stuff works pretty well, mixed with a bit of grit from a local rock to make it look more natural.

I think it would at least send a message that people do not approve. That might be enough to discourage future chipping.
Tony Simpson 10 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:
This orm of wilful destruction definitely needs restoration work. So a big yes to filling in.
If you leave them as they are we are saying its ok get on with chipping it does not matter, on the other hand if they are filled we are telling tese maurons it is unacceptable and if you do this we will only rectify the damage you have done.

Hope these people are caught and taught the errors of their ways!!!!
 innesmac 13 Apr 2013
Was down today working and saw someone filling in the damage, thanks!
We also tried to do a clear up throughout the day of the pool area (8bin bags worth)

In one way the great access to many roadside accessible places we have in the northwest also comes with people who dispose of so much crap and rubbish. Let alone these pricks destroying routes.

Rather than chip just get stronger and better!!
OP RagingSphere 13 Apr 2013
In reply to innesmac:

That's great news about the repairs and just as good about the rubbish.

Thank you both to the person doing the repairs and you for clearing up.

Mark
 Ste_b1978 13 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: was there on friday and there are also chips on the wall to left of mohammed the medieval melancholic. Arse holes!!!
 Calder 13 Apr 2013
In reply to innesmac: Good work all - genuinely hats off to you.
 Mark Collins 15 Apr 2013
 wheelo 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: well done mark...we'll wait and see what happens next, either they get the message or double their efforts! Lets hope the former.
 muppetfilter 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: Hi Mark, Thanks firstly for putting in some great work. In the past I have done some repair work on historical buildings and had call to use pigments and fibres to give a colour matched finish and fibres for a longer lasting more robust fill.
Apoligies for teaching you to suck eggs if you have already done this but there are some great products on this site...
http://www.cemcraft.com/Pigments.html
 Mark Collins 15 Apr 2013
In reply to wheelo: Cheers, fingers crossed.
 Mark Collins 15 Apr 2013
In reply to muppetfilter: No worries. No I haven't already done that, cheers for the info.
 robin mueller 15 Apr 2013

Well done Mark!
OP RagingSphere 16 Apr 2013

Just been to Denham and the repairs look pretty good. I can't remember exactly how it was before but it looks far better now.

Unfortunately the new bolts alluded to in this thread, http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=546300, do exist. One is the replacement for the old bolt on Flick of the Wrist, E2, but the second is on the same line but well below the break.

Mark
 Mark Collins 17 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: Thanks Mark. I'll go and take a look at the bolt situation when I get a mo.
OP RagingSphere 17 Apr 2013

I've just been out for a closer look with guide book in hand and although there are two new bolts they both seem to be to replace old rusty bolts.

The old one above the overhang has been removed and replaced. The second one below the overhang is about a foot to the left of the new one.

I never noticed the old bolt below the overhang before, you can tell I don't climb that hard.

Mark
 Mark Collins 26 Apr 2013
 Mark Collins 26 Apr 2013
 Paul Crusher R 26 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: Mark, those chips round the corner are fairly new, ive not seen them before, theyre proper jobs, I couldnt imagine anyone with half a sense about climbing would do that, way to big. The bolt on flick of the wrist looks like its been put in the old bolt hole.. there used to be a really shaggy old thing which im sure was in that position that was basically defunct and dangerous.. and the top bolt... is it a like for like replacement or is it a second one. Poor ol Denham its getting a hammering eh..
OP RagingSphere 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Paul R:

The marks around the corner appeared about the time I posted last year about the dry tooling. I'm actually surprised to realise I haven't mentioned those before I see them at least once a week.

The top bolt looks like its a replacement and is seated off to the side, if I get the chance this evening I'll ab down and take a picture.

The lower bolt is in addition to the old one, its on a different rock face. Again I will try and get a close up picture later.

Mark
 Mark Collins 26 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: Oh ok, that explains the marks around the corner then. I'll fill them in when I get a mo, unless there are any objections.

Read up for links to chipping and bolt photos.
 Chris Aston 26 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark: i went down last week decided not to climb as there were a group of guys, who didnt seem to b climbing but looked like they would defo rob u. so didn't fancy the hassel . which annoyed me cause i do like Denham . Need to stop these idiots ruining the place.
 Mark Collins 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Aston: I had the same problem when I went down there last week. It's the best and worst thing about Denham, being so accessible makes it an ideal hang out spot for everyone and anyone. Last year I stopped going because it seemed impossible to prevent the rope from trailing through dog sh*t.
OP RagingSphere 07 May 2013

Thanks Mark.
 Andrew Wilson 07 May 2013
In reply to monkeymark:
Never been as I live over in Bradford but from your descriptions you make Baildon Bank seem like Stanage in comparison! Good luck with the pest control.
 Mark Collins 07 May 2013
In reply to monkeymark: No worries Mark.
 Mark Collins 07 May 2013
In reply to Andrew Wilson: Unfortunately, this place needs all the love it can get.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...