UKC

new balance minimus series

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ice.solo 09 Apr 2013
ive uncovered a supply of NB minimus shoes at about 40% of retail, so have grabbed a few pairs.

just wondering how others have found them, in order to gain a bit of perspective on how they feel to me.

im not into the natural running thing - i already run about in bare feet so dont need to be sold special shoes for it - but have been using one pair in the gym where they feel very good for lifting.

the main pair im running in are the 1010/amps as they are not all that minimal as far as i can tell. 50% of the running i do is light stuff (20kms on gravel/flat trails whilst the rest is with a heavy pack for which i wouldnt dream of doing in minimal shoes).

anyone else use these shoes with an opinion to give?
is the 101o/amp just a gimmick for those who cant decide on either minimal or regular shoes?
have i been conned?
David2015 18 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Well check out this review: http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/new-balance-mt1010-review.html

Appears they're really comfy but upper falls apart after a few hundred miles (or sooner depending on the trail), so it's good that you grabbed a few spare pairs. NB seem to have fixed this in their V2 upgrade, out July in the US and hopefully soon after in UK: http://runtramp.com/new-balance-mt1010-v2-preview/

If anyone has any thoughts on the following: I'm after a long distance trail shoe myself but am having trouble finding a right fit. I bought a pair of asics fuji racer's which where an excellent, snug fit until where my big toe hugs the far side of the shoe - that end became very uncomfortable so I had to give the shoes away (they're fantastic btw and quite cheap - consider sealing up the draining holes in the sole with some liquid shoe rubber though). My big toe is relatively long ( almost half an inch longer than the next toe) which means that I need some width in that area, but the rest of my foot is rather narrow, and roomier toe box usually comes with a wider shoe overall.

One possible solution I read about is to hold the toe box of the shoe close to a flame and, with a spoon, carefully push it from the inside out to widen the fit exactly where you need a bit of extra space. However this is a perilous endeavour that I;d rather avoid.

I reckon NB has a bit roomier toe boxes so I'm definitely going to try a pair. Other options are a pair of Salomon's from the s-lab series, maybe the new Mantra. Or a pair of Innov-8s, Montrails, the new Haglofs? Any recommendations?
 steveriley 18 Apr 2013
Are they the fabric ones? I was a big of their second cousin the NB101. It's a great all-rounder for bread and butter trail runs and doesn't mind straying into fell territory. But I'm just not getting the lifespan. Current pair ready for the bin after 4 months and maybe 250 miles tops. I had the first pair replaced under warranty, but I think it's just one of those things. The upper's gone in several places and there's a big rip along the instep. I have another pair, but ready to try something else soon I think.
 Roberttaylor 22 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I like them. Light, not too much padding, comfy. I've got the 2nd generation trail ones and they definitely don't look/feel like they will last that long compared to other trainers. Think they have 4mm drop which feels fine to me.

R
ice.solo 23 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

cool. thanks all. good to hear everything.

ive taken them for a bit of a run (2 x 20kms and about 5kms, plus a bit of town use) and tho needing a bit of adjustment (i was wearing sportiva crosslites before) they are ok.
feel very good around the toes.

will be interested to see how they wear.

Hirosim 24 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> ive uncovered a supply of NB minimus shoes at about 40% of retail, so have grabbed a few pairs.
>
> just wondering how others have found them, in order to gain a bit of perspective on how they feel to me.
>
> im not into the natural running thing - i already run about in bare feet so dont need to be sold special shoes for it - but have been using one pair in the gym where they feel very good for lifting.
>
> the main pair im running in are the 1010/amps as they are not all that minimal as far as i can tell. 50% of the running i do is light stuff (20kms on gravel/flat trails whilst the rest is with a heavy pack for which i wouldnt dream of doing in minimal shoes).

> have i been conned?

Maybe you should of tried them out before you brought several pairs.............

ice.solo 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Hirosim:

cheap, light shoes with vibram rubber soles. they have lots of uses earmarked for them other than running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...