UKC

Used D5000 body - what's it worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 11 Apr 2013
I'm thinking about upgrading from my current Nikon D5000 so what do the UKC camera buffs reckon I'd get for this body? None is currently listed on Ffordes and I'm not sure how accurate other sites' prices are.

Any thoughts...?
 Oujmik 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser: This is off the top of my head, but I'd guess perhaps £150-200
OP Fraser 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks, tat's sport of what I'd been hoping for. I suppose that's for a private sale. Ffordes offered me something in the order of £100-110 as a trade in, so allowing for their profit and a bit of bunce that's about right. But disappointing nonetheless.
 The Lemming 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser:

FleayBay has a £150-£200 ballpark figure which is a shame as I too have this camera and love it. I initially paid full price when first it hit the shelves and understand how much it has depreciated in price. This is why I now buy second-hand cameras.

As for upgrading, I still go by the idea of upgrading the glass rather than the camera. In fact I have read many articles that confirmed that the bodies of the Budget dSLRs compete very well against the Flagship models if they both have the same glass to test and compare.

I'm a punter and will be keeping my D5000 till it dies before upgrading. In fact my first compact Nikon Coolpix 885 is still working flawlessly to this day and producing excellent images and its 12 years old with a 3Mp sensor and 64Mb compact flash cards.
OP Fraser 11 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd agree with everything you say, pretty much. I too love the D5000, but I'm finding its minor limitations in terms of what I now want from a camera slightly frustrating. The used D7000 on Ffordes for £499 (body only) is a great buy and I would be sorely tempted if I could only get a bit more for the D5000 body. Lens-wise, I'm all set, apart from a decent telephoto but I'm happy to hang fire on that till the right deal becomes available.
 Hannes 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser: That generation of cameras has now dropped so much in value it is hardly worth selling them. Could you make any use of it? Stick a tele on that body and a normal zoom on the new or take the old body when you go out climbing and use like you would use a point and shoot.

I bought a Canon 400D which is slightly older vintage for £79 the other day with the intention of using it as a climbing camera after being dissapointed with cheap compacts. This is in the same ballpark for price as a compact but image quality is after all far better and and this one I won't have to worry about too much because even those cheap bodies are reasonably sturdy.

Would you get something worthwile with the money for the old camera? I wouldn't have gotten rid of it personally as I think it is still a good camera, sure it doesn't have the ISO performance and the better body of the more expensive and newer models but it will still produce great photos, especially if it has good lenses in front of it.
 The Lemming 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> I'd agree with everything you say, pretty much. I too love the D5000, but I'm finding its minor limitations in terms of what I now want from a camera slightly frustrating.

I'm curious now, what limitations have you found?
OP Fraser 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Hannes:

For all the money I'd get for it, I'd probably just keep the D5000 tbh! (not sold it yet, I was really just asking what Ffordes would do me on a p-ex.)

In reply to The Lemming:

Mostly having full HD video capability, more focus points, better high-ISO, more storage, larger & higher resolution screen, better burst capability, better (ie quicker) accessibility to controls, rather than going into menu options.
 The Lemming 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Hannes)
>
> For all the money I'd get for it, I'd probably just keep the D5000 tbh! (not sold it yet, I was really just asking what Ffordes would do me on a p-ex.)
>
>
> In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Mostly having full HD video capability, more focus points, better high-ISO, more storage, larger & higher resolution screen, better burst capability, better (ie quicker) accessibility to controls, rather than going into menu options.

Yep, the Video feature is dire and I gave up on that feature within minutes. My Canon compact S90 was used to record my mate's wedding and the image quality was exceptional. And as for going into the menu, again I have to agree it takes a few seconds more. My first dSLR was the model below a D50 which had far more dials and buttons to get to what I needed more intuitively.
 Hamfunk 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Hi Fraser,

I got £320 for my D5000 last year with 18-105mm lense, 8GB SD and an ortleib case.

I recon £180 is a fair price for the body only as it's a great camera and brilliant for someone looking to get into photography. At that price someone could spend £120 on a decent second hand lense and have a great starters setup for £300. Find someone interested in photography rather than filming and your laughing!

Good luck, whether you sell or not.
OP Fraser 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Hamfunk:

Cheers for that. If I cold get £180 I probably would part with it but looking around that figure does seem slightly optimistic. I think I'll just have to wait till the D7000s come down further in price, by which time there will undoubtedly be something newer I'll have my eye on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...