UKC

First Grit Day of the Year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
...was yesterday at Birchen.

Such a great day. The great people I was with made a difference of course but just that feeling of moving on grit again - the initial terror that you feet aren't going to stick followed by the slow realisation that actually they will. Lovely.

Hope you all had a good weekend climbing.
 JimboWizbo 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Got my second E1 of the year done this weekend so very pleased with Saturday's climbing. Getting off the top with all the snow piled up was probably the most dangerous part of the whole process!

Just eyeing up some new cams, getting very excited about more climbing days.
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
I love Birchen, always a relaxed, friendly atmos there. I've not hit the grit at all yet due to the unexpected long winter season. I had a day at Stoney Middleton last week and got beasted! If this nice weather keep till the weekend I'll get out on grit for sure even if its just bouldering
OP Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I think the last time I was out climbing at all must have been last November.
 Ramblin dave 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
I was out at Gardoms on saturday and got up my first VS!

But that was my fourth time on grit this year - getting out over winter is actually pretty doable (even if you live in one of the flattest bits of England like we do) provided you've got the flexibility to pick the odd day when it's going to be just not quite too cold...
 jkarran 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Gardoms yesterday was the first time I've been on a rope in ages. I felt unfit, heavy and rusty, grit always seems to do that, we're not well suited the grit and me. Still, it was a nice day out

jk
 Calder 15 Apr 2013
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> Gardoms yesterday was the first time I've been on a rope in ages. I felt unfit, heavy and rusty, grit always seems to do that, we're not well suited the grit and me. Still, it was a nice day out
>
> jk

Sounds like me and the Roaches last week - I'd climbed on the grit only once in the last 18 months. I backed off of two routes due to being timid, and unsure of everything from footwork to gear placements to my own strength.

Square peg round hole etc and so on. Sometimes I think I should an effort to climb on grit more... And then I just think stuff it I'm not that bothered!
In reply to Ava Adore: hmmm.... I thought grit season was just ending
OP Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Maybe to those weirdo freaks that climb when it's COLD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...