UKC

How safe is bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hugohermann 17 Apr 2013
yesterday i have seen this video and i was shocked

vimeo.com/62925820
 And Climb 17 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: I'd be horrified. Bouldering with people who wear socks with their climbing shoes. I just don't think I cope.
 ti_pin_man 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: woah... bring back 127 hours all is forgiven.
 Rampikino 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann:

I guess it just happens. How safe is bouldering? Well it depends on number of factors, some of which can be controlled and some of which can't be controlled.

I guess an enormous block coming off while you are hanging off of it falls into the uncontrollable box unless you are able to see that it is about to happen!
 Fraser 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann:

I must admit, I didn't see that one coming!
 petegunn 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: After doing this problem in font someone showed me this video! WARNING BROKEN LIMBS
youtube.com/watch?v=b3j5fxKt7jk&
 Neil Williams 18 Apr 2013
In reply to petegunn:

Nasty. Anyone for top-roping?

Neil
Nacho-Shep 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: Cant see that video been allowed on youve been framed - but that chap definately earnt his £250
 Jamie B 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Anyone for top-roping?

Not if it looks anything like this youtube.com/watch?v=aybyT6MZtwE&
johnny1 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann:

not safe at all, i snapped my achilles tendon bouldering - drove my foot into the mat from about 1ft when it popped of a small hold

Jamie B 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann:

It's pretty unusual to pull a large flake off an established problem, but big drops onto mats (and the occasional miss) are inevitable, and sooner or later one is going to hurt.

Of course you can set the rules as you choose, and it's entirely possible to stick to traverses, low problems and benign landings, but to see it as safe because of the presence of mats would be a mistake. Climbing walls see more mishaps in bouldering areas than anywhere else.
 UKB Shark 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann:

Not something you would expect but there's no reason why it is any more remarkable than pulling a similar size hold off a route.

More generally ofn the subject of safety because of the greater number of falls logic suggests that there will be a higher proportion of minor injuries / fractures etc with bouldering than lead climbing but few (if any) fatalities
 JIMBO 18 Apr 2013
In reply to JamieB
> Climbing walls see more mishaps in bouldering areas than anywhere else.

I snapped my cruciate ligament and other knee related sinews and cartilage in a fall off an indoor bouldering wall onto a big mat... much worse than any other fall I've ever had outside, even when they were bigger and onto rocks.
crash matti 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: I broke my arm bouldering, after pulling a flake off
 BoulderyDave 18 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: just got the Buxton bouldering guide and it has this gem at the start: "Bouldering (like just about anything) can be a dangerous activity. If you do enough of it you will eventually hurt yourself, and it will be all your own fault"

Genius
In reply to hugohermann: Bouldering mats are a joke. People think they will stop them being hurt but in reality cause and exaggerate injuries. Bin them and learn to jump off or reverse, before you fall............
 cb_6 19 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: A friend of mine told me a chilling story of a large rock he saw on the ground near a sport crag in Spain... with a bolt in it. Someone had either a bad day on the rocks, or a very dark sense of humour.

As for the original video, my thought process was something along the lines of "OK, nothing shocking here, none of these falls look that bad OHMYF*CKINGCHRIST"
 payney1973 19 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: difficult to avoid and negate all dangers but the second video shows just how important your spotter is,
I've just took a group to font and I emphasised from the off the importance of good spotting.
 DaveHK 19 Apr 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> (In reply to hugohermann) Bouldering mats are a joke. People think they will stop them being hurt but in reality cause and exaggerate injuries.

Thats only the case if you don't know how to ue it. Used properly they prevent injury particularly the repetitive kind.
 UKB Shark 19 Apr 2013
> (In reply to hugohermann) Bouldering mats are a joke. People think they will stop them being hurt but in reality cause and exaggerate injuries. Bin them and learn to jump off or reverse, before you fall............

If bouldering mats are a joke then you're a comedian
Bob kate bob 19 Apr 2013
> learn to jump off or reverse, before you fall............

your really not into pushing yourself to the limits of your ability I take it?
 Chris Harris 19 Apr 2013
Rockhopper85 25 Apr 2013
In reply to hugohermann: climbing is dangerous.lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...