UKC

Running with tired legs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
As title says really. Is it beneficial or best avoided? I did a 10 mile run on wednesday, want to do 8 miles today but legs are feeling pretty heavy. I will go out and play it by ear, but interested in any expert views?

Also, I found this comment on Runners World on the same subject...got to be bollox right? (Rich Jackson - 17.30 / 29/04/2012)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/running-with-tired-legs/191554...
 The New NickB 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

It is a fact of life if you do any kind of mileage. Just do a slightly easier sessions.
In reply to The New NickB: So how often do you set off feeling fresh and light as a daisy? or is it that just a childhood memory?
 yorkshireman 19 Apr 2013

I don't know much about the theory, but listen to your body. There's 'tired' and there's 'exhausted'.

I read your RW response and got some more context, and it seems you're trying to 'catch up' on missed training for an upcoming half.

I would say this is a bad idea. You can't really do that and tapering there for a reason. This close to a half marathon, try and be rested and injury free. Overtrain and you'll jeopardise that.
 Banned User 77 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: As Nick.. the norm..

Its why you taper before a race.. at the height of marathon training you feel shafted..

Ignore RW.. full of rubbish..
 yorkshireman 19 Apr 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

Sorry, just read more of your RW thread and realised it was referring to last year!

Ignore what I said
> (In reply to The New NickB) So how often do you set off feeling fresh and light as a daisy? or is it that just a childhood memory?

Never.. well 2-3 races a year.. if that..
In reply to yorkshireman: The RW thread was nothing to do with me,I just found it when doing a google search on the subject. What amazed me was the specific comment where the guy says he managed his half marathon but ended up in pain from mile 9 which got worse, and he claims he had broken clean through his fibula !?
In reply to IainRUK: ok, so MTFU and get out there is my new mantra
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Probably a stress fracture..
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: yeah basically.. you need to listen, as YM said.. there's tired.. and shattered.. sometimes you need a rest.. sometimes a light 5 miler, now pace focus.. is enough..

Last night I went to do 6 x 1k's but knew in the warm up it just wasn't happening, so did 8 miles slow. But I'd done 12 miles quite hard the night before..
In reply to IainRUK: ".. I hobbled along but knew I should pull up, but it was my first half so I pushed through, I was in agony but came in just under the 2 hour mark, 1 58 something. I am now back from A&E with my crutches and plaster cast as Fibula is broken right the way through."

maybe he's an angler and prone to exaggerate
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: yeah.. sounds like that. A stress fracture wouldn't be implausible.. and the pain and fracture would grow.. he's an idiot for carrying on.. for a 1:58 half..
 tony 19 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús) yeah.. sounds like that. A stress fracture wouldn't be implausible.. and the pain and fracture would grow.. he's an idiot for carrying on.. for a 1:58 half..

I did the Islay half last year. The first 10 minutes were okay, and then something went ping in my calf. My first thought was to stop, and then my second thought was that I'd gone a long way and spend a lot of money for 10 minutes running, and then I tried to persuade myself it might ease itself out as I ran. Needless to say it didn't, and I did myself more damage, all for a 1.40 half. Not really very smart.
 Doghouse 19 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús) yeah.. sounds like that. A stress fracture wouldn't be implausible.. and the pain and fracture would grow.. he's an idiot for carrying on.. for a 1:58 half..

Not really, it was his first so probably means as much to him as someone coming in in 70 mins.
In reply to Doghouse: A stress fracture..

There is too much emphasis on not DNFing.. look at the ludicrous reactions to Radcliffe..

She's seen as a failure.. look at the comments when she retired.. yet she ran 2:15.. fastest woman ever..

We are in a ludicrous position where we'd rather never DNF than run good times..

I had a welsh coach say to me 'ultra runners never quit'.. which we do.. all the time.. we just learn from it and run faster next time..

Bigger picture.. bigger picture.. the moment your long term running is underthreat DNF.. its very very simple..
 Doghouse 19 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús) he's an idiot for carrying on.. for a 1:58 half..

It was for the "1.58" piece I was responding to. I assumed you were implying that if he was on for a 'good' time then it would have been more appropriate that he continued. Apologies, if I misinterpreted your meaning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...