UKC

Where to buy POF in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Spinal 21 Apr 2013
I'm heading to font soon for a weekend... but don't want to waste time stopping at the shop in France to buy some pof...

Any advice where to buy/order this in the UK? I realise that it's actively discouraged in the UK; but I really do not want to waste precious time in France that I could spend bouldering!

M.
 McGuinness 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal: Hilarious. 0/10
andy guppy 21 Apr 2013
Spinal 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal:
Andy - 'fraid not

Any idea if it's the same thing as the rosin used by dancers?

M.
Danny-Zero 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal: Dude there's a Decathlon sports store about ten minutes away from Bas Couvier in Font! Think it was about 9 euros a bag! Only a short round trip out of your bouldering time :P
 ark05 21 Apr 2013
make you own with dried pine tree sap a tea towel and elastic band.
 Bruce Hooker 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal:

You don't need it though, both pof and chalk are discouraged nowadays, the people who run the forest prohibit the use of chalk and the cosiroc asks us not to use either pof or chalk because the sheer numbers of climbers at Fontainebleau and the use of these cheating products requires this to protet the rock.

Why not be ecological? it'll only knock a grade or so off your performance, not much sacrifice to save the most popular boulder field in the world for future generations.
 3leggeddog 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I would be interested to research whether the historic use of rosin has prevented the erosion of the rock at font by bonding it together, thus preventing the sandy pockets we see at places like Bridestones.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?
Spinal 21 Apr 2013

Since when did cosiroc change their stance? Last I was there it was all pof and no chalk. I remember being told that pof protected the otherwise very fragile sandstone...

I'm happy to go with whatever the local "law" is. When I drive in another country, I abide by their rules, no matter if I agree with them or not. Same goes when climbing...

Spinal 21 Apr 2013

Just had a look at cosiroc; this seems to suggest pof is still the preferred tool:
http://www.cosiroc.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...
 Bruce Hooker 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal:

A few texts: First a text put on notice boards at Fontainebleau:

http://www.windmillweb.info/various/no_chalk_at_bleau.doc

Then two pages from a cosiroc guide book:

http://www.windmillweb.info/various/P201.jpg

http://www.windmillweb.info/various/P208.jpg

There are others which generally suggest total abstinence then say but if you really must use the minimum and never on the rock only on the fingers... but as we all no that once people have a chalk bag or pof ball they'll put it everywhere then why not leave them all at home?

PS. The ONF ban only mentions "magnesie" (ie. chalk) and is on all the standard green notice boards at the car-parks, in the same bit about no pitons, chipping or wire-brushing.
 petegunn 24 Apr 2013
In reply to 3leggeddog: I agree with you that i think that the use of resin/pof has actually helped to protect the rock. Locals have been using it for over 100 years. Ive been visiting font for the last 15 years and even though the place is becoming more worn i.e a lot more ground erosion, the actual rock is holding up well. If you compare the number of climbers that climb in Fontainebleau our rocks would disintergrate.
 lost1977 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal:

i have loads of tacky which is pretty much the same (used in strongman for stone lifting)
i.munro 24 Apr 2013
In reply to petegunn:
> the actual rock is holding up well. If you compare the number of climbers that climb in Fontainebleau our rocks would disintergrate.

I suspect the whole 'Bleausard' setup (carpet, immaculately clean feet, slapping holds free of sand before climbing, no chalk ) which is sadly now disappearing, is mainly responsible for this rather than the use of pof.

No way of knowing for sure of course.
 Kaya 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Spinal: There is a sport shop in Font its self. I cant remeber where excactly but I do remeber that it was cheaper then Decathlon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...