UKC

If I forget stretching or don't stretch enough, can I do later?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OneLifeOneHeart 21 Apr 2013
And if not, what's the best thing to do after not having stretched following intense physical activity (the "cooling down" part)?

This question is asked by me, who for some reason was born completely stupid and unable to learn how to do physical activities properly and got injured various times throughout my life for not learning and being really physically ignorant.
Even some quite serious injuries (I wrote about it here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=547013)

Anyway, all help would be appreciated as I feel completely stupid about this and very often end up very very frustrated after any sort of new physical activity I try (including swimming, dancing, climbing...).

So yeah, today I forgot stretching and I kinda feel my joints are very clicky and all... I just don't know where to look for info. I always end up getting injured!
(I meant that I am ignorant about the stretching part. I feel I can do most of the actual activity well, but I don't know how to warm up, stretch, and stretch for cooling down.
Those steps somehow don't get recorded in my brain. It's as if I have a learning disability with stretching... I just dont know... but I always, always, ALWAYS end up injured)
 Sir Chasm 21 Apr 2013
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Why don't you try stretching and see what happens?
I always forget how to do it right...
as in, how much should I extend, for how long exactly I need to extend, which part of the body I must start first, and then when I have to do the opposite side, etc. etc. it seems so complicated...
ice.solo 21 Apr 2013
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart:

stretching is controversial. some say it doesnt do shit, others say its the best thing ever. still others say its gotta be done first (cool down is other stuff) etc.

but, seems fairly agreed upon that its gotta be done when warm, without 'bouncing', gently and in synch with your breathing.

personally i do it after a warm up, before the bulk of the session, with light weight (after i do a cool down thats easy cardio). sometimes for shoulders etc i do short stretches throughout the session too.
my thinking is its injury prevention where it matters, so a bit useless when done last, other than feeling nice.

Brass Nipples 21 Apr 2013

No you can't, but then you know that
NoromAmi 22 Apr 2013
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Personally I don't think stretching , or warming down, does anything. I don't even do warm up routes anymore, I used to and my mates usually start on 5s and 5+s my limits is 6B+ 6c on a good day. I ususlly climb as much as I can above 6a+.

I've not noticed any difference from doing what I do to when I used to warm up.

My injuries, tennis elbow, have been cause by ignoring a hurt and carrying on, when doing explosive / dyno type movements. I other words me being daft.
 Postmanpat 22 Apr 2013
In reply to NoromAmi:
> (In reply to OneLifeOneHeart)
>
> My injuries, tennis elbow, have been cause by ignoring a hurt and carrying on, when doing explosive / dyno type movements. I other words me being daft.
>
How do you know that?

Kemics 22 Apr 2013

Normally after I hit the gym and do a heavy session of squats/deadlifts. My legs are super painful the next few days...stretching makes a massive difference to my recovery time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...