UKC

Late may SSE ridge weissmies conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hendofan 22 Apr 2013
Going to Saas Fee the last week of May and wondered what to expect on the above route. Looks like it could be tricky if its iced etc. Did Tryfan, Bristly ridge in prep last week and remembered thinking it would have been tough in winter conditions with no rope etc.

Any advice would be welcome.
 UKH Forums 22 Apr 2013
This thread was started in the WINTER CLIMBING forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Expedition & Alpine Mountaineering - Planning an overseas expedition or your first trip to the alps? Route and area info. Travel, logistics, bureacracy, equipment, etc.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Blinder 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Hendofan: will have to see what the weather does over the next couple of weeks. There was 50 cms of fresh snow over the weekend on top of a huge base.
Hendofan 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:
Wow that would make the ridge pretty bad.. Im doing the Lagginhorn so maybe just have to stick to that.
 Blinder 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Hendofan: Ask me in a couple of weeks and maybe I can give you an update. I can see the N face of the Weissmies and summit of the Lagginhorn from my house.
Hendofan 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:
I will do pal thanks. Fingers crossed for a wee bit of a thaw before the end of may.
 Cuthbert 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:

What is the descent like down the normal route in summer like?
Hendofan 30 Apr 2013
In reply to jon:
Nice link man thanks!
Feel a bit better about it now. I would love to do the traverse but the decent down has too many crevasses to fall in by all accounts.
 Blinder 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Hendofan: the link was a ski trip!
Hendofan 02 May 2013
In reply to Blinder:
Oh whoops. Well it seems the conditions are more stable and if the temp increases a wee bit in the next few weeks hopefully there will be less ice.
Hendofan 13 May 2013
In reply to Blinder:
Are you out there yet Blinder? Whats it looking like??
 Blinder 13 May 2013
In reply to Hendofan: Hi was out there last week, the weather was not to good. Only saw the summit of the Weisesmiss once and did not have the binoculars. Lots of snow especially up high. Hopefully a week of sun will burn a lot of the snow off.
testagrigia 14 May 2013
In reply to Hendofan:
See my post about Piz Badile conditions. There is lots of snow this year and the weather this spring has been very unsettled, with recent fresh snow down to 2000-2500m. We are heading for another 10 days of unsettled weather, so more snow in prospect. Snowline around 2000m on north-facing slopes, about 500 m higher on south-facing ones. "Excluding north facing slopes above 2500 m, the snow cover is thoroughly wet all the way up to high altitudes" (dixit the Swiss avalanche service). If you do get a weather window, you can expect the approach to be hard going without skis or snow shoes.
testagrigia 14 May 2013
In reply to Hendofan:
BTW: the high-altitude ski touring conditions are excellent, if you can manage to get a clear day...
Hendofan 15 May 2013
In reply to testagrigia: Yeah the approach is not so much of a worry as the ridges if there is lots of fresh snow.

The forecast for next week when im there looks pretty bad so may have to try snatch a day for Lagginhorn and leave weissmies.

In regards skiing I would certainly kill myself trying that haha.
 Blinder 22 May 2013
In reply to Hendofan: So how did it go?
testagrigia 04 Jun 2013
In reply to Hendofan: Me too, dying to know how it went!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...