UKC

Virtual magazines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 25 Apr 2013
Do many people subscribe or buy magazines which they read on a computer or tablet rather than buying a physical copy at a newsagent?
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 25 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

tablet. much easier, less recycling
OP The Lemming 25 Apr 2013
In reply to aujayeb:

Where do you get your mags from?

I've got an android and I am looking at the Zinio web site and the Zinio app.
In reply to aujayeb:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> tablet. much easier, less recycling

+1
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 25 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

depends what you want

i have an ipad 2

and get national geographic, newsweek, climbing and some medical journals as well

they all have apps of their own
ice.solo 25 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

the economist. picking up an english version takes a bit of effort, so i read what really need online then occasionally buy a copy. theres still something about sitting back with it and several cups of coffee that a tablet doesnt have, but im not sure what.
 Tom W 25 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I have an iPad and much prefer reading paper copies.
Pan Ron 25 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Economist on iPad (includes audio so it can be read out to me while cooking) is great. Zinio mags are pretty good too.

However, there is something quite nice about magazines on the coffee table - show off value. My copy of Cross Country mag looks better in the flesh than on the iPad unfortunately, but nothing beats having all my books and magazines with me at all times.

Possibly relevant to virtual magazines is the version of tablet being used. I hated reading on my original iPad, with its low resolution screen. Now that they have gone hi-res, all is much better.
ice.solo 25 Apr 2013
In reply to David Martin:

ive long enjoyed economist audio stuff and actually have a friend who does some. something about that oxford school of oriental studies accent. great stuff.

somewhat related; recently was reviewing a guy to work with, upon high recommendation of a friend. this guy had an extremely impressive resume, that amongst many things mentioned he read the economist as his chosen periodical.
perhaps the only magazine worth mentioning in a resume..?
KevinD 25 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

what about google play magazines?

I brought a few random ones for 99p, I am not convinced on their use.
I have a couple of paper plus electronic and to be honest tend to keep to the paper (aside from if sitting on train and bored).
Only one purely electronic is 2600 as a Kindle magazine (on kindle and on laptop app) and thats because the paper version is a pain to get hold off in the UK.
In reply to The Lemming: I'd love to get Brit mags delivered to my kindle, as the cost of them in Aus is astronomical.
 Blue Straggler 26 Apr 2013
In reply to aujayeb:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> tablet. much easier, less recycling

How often do you replace a tablet though, and what raw materials go into the next one?

It's all very complicated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...