UKC

Indoor Climbing - Outdoor Experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connolly8684 29 Apr 2013
Hi. Just looking for a little insight into people's (climber's) perspective into indoor climbing as some quick feedback for my dissertation (Do individuals get a real outdoor adventurous experience on indoor or site specific facilties?) idea.

Do you as climbers percieve indoor climbing to be an outdoor adventurous sport?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

C.Connolly.
 Thomaslynchuk 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Connolly8684:

I would say yes as alot of new climbers now find it easiler to go indoors first to learn to climb and once they have the safety and knownlegde to progess then move to trad outside.

I did this but I started of leading then ended up Sport climbing but due to the history of what climbing is I could not say no to it, without the indoor venues I think alot of newer climbers will not get that push unless your local to crags I am in liverpool so Awesome was easy to get to.
 martinph78 29 Apr 2013
>
> Do you as climbers percieve indoor climbing to be an outdoor adventurous sport?
>

No. I consider outdoor climbing an adventure sport, but not indoor.

> Hi. Just looking for a little insight into people's (climber's) perspective into indoor climbing as some quick feedback for my dissertation (Do individuals get a real outdoor adventurous experience on indoor or site specific facilties?) idea.

Climbing at Ratho on a December evening can get pretty close to the outdoor adventurous experience.

knthrak1982 29 Apr 2013

I enjoy indoor climbing and climb indoors more than outdoors, especially this past year due to transport issues.
I consider it to be challenging and enjoyable, even scary at times. However, I don't consider it to be adventurous, unlike outdoor.
 SteveoS 29 Apr 2013
No.
My GF found this out the hard way as soon after climbing her first indoor climbs in a nice warm environment, I took her up a multi-pitch VD on a lovely 'breezy' spring evening.

Safe to say she now thinks indoors is much more to her liking and much less adventurous.
andic 29 Apr 2013

Indoor is adventurous if you have never been outside. Newbies find it exciting and new until they discover outdoors sport is even more adventurous, trad even more so....

(this theme continues until you reach the ethical pinnacle of an on-sight multi-pitch solo ascent with 5 hour walk-in)
 GridNorth 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Connolly8684: No. I've just returned from a trip to Morocco trad climbing. That was adventurous. No rescue, no medical, no approach paths, unmade roads, snakes and scorpions, descriptions that in many cases are just wrong and grades which are at times questionable. In comparison indoor climbing has more in common with gymnastics than what I was doing. For me indoor climbing is merely training for the real thing.
 Ramblin dave 29 Apr 2013
In reply to knthrak1982:
> (In reply to Connolly8684)
>
> I consider it to be challenging and enjoyable, even scary at times. However, I don't consider it to be adventurous, unlike outdoor.

Yeah, that pretty much summarises how I feel about it.

Although in practice, quite a lot of outdoor climbing isn't particularly adventurous either.

GrahamD 29 Apr 2013

I consider some forms of outdoor climbing as adventurous but many common forms are not. Indoor climbing is certainly not an adventurous sport.
 Lurking Dave 30 Apr 2013

> Do you as climbers percieve (sic) indoor climbing to be an outdoor sport?

There, I have help tidy your question. Is that really what you wanted to ask?
LD
New POD 30 Apr 2013
I percieve indoor climbing to be a combination of a gym workout, safe practise, and a socialiable get together.

It's closer to outdoor climbing, than Indoor ten pin bowls is to outdoor crown greeen bowls.

Rather like outdoor without the hassle, and without the views.
KevinD 30 Apr 2013

adventurous sport seems to be one of those completely meaningless terms alongside extreme sports.
Not helped by outdoor climbing covering such a wide range as well.

I wouldnt count it as outdoor, by definition or that adventurous but then some outdoor climbing wouldnt really meet the latter (and would be the sort a lazy punter like me would stick to for now).

cb_6 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Connolly8684: Indoor climbing is a lot of fun, a great way to keep fit and the only option many have to train for rock climbing. However, it is hardly the same experience as being outdoors, for a whole host of reasons!
 Ava Adore 30 Apr 2013

Chalk and cheese
 GrahamD 30 Apr 2013
In reply to dissonance:

I agree, the threshold fore adventurous varies from person to person but for me its not the difference between indoor and outdoor. There are plenty of distinctly unadventurous outdoor venues (and non the worse for that)
OP Connolly8684 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Lurking Dave:
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. My aim is to find out really what individual ideas and perspectives people have of adventurous experiences. We all know indoor climbing isn't technically an outdoor adventurous activity. The question in itself contradicts itself. But dependant on the experience of the individual and their levels of skill acquisition totally dictates there answer to the question

Thanks again,

C.Connolly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...