UKC

Any Scottish mountain multi-pitches in nick??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 30 Apr 2013
As the title suggests... What mountain crags are likely to be in summer climbing conditions? It all still looks a bit wintery out there.
 Ramblin dave 30 Apr 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
I was about to ask a similar question - is there anything with a bit of a mountain feel but low enough to be free of snow and liable to dry out if it warms up for a few days next week?
 dek 30 Apr 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
The Etive slabs? I think they were reportedly dry, last week.
 aln 30 Apr 2013
In reply to baileyswalk: I haven't been for ages but Dungeon of Buchan might be a good bet. I've climbed multi pitch on rock there while the mountain crags further north were still plastered. Lovely spot, usually quiet, great quality rock, and there's a bothy too!
 skog 30 Apr 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
If you want multipitch but are not dead set on mountain crags, Polldubh might be a good option. It was pleasantly mild on Saturday, but we were watching the spindrift blow off Aonach Beag.

The ticks are out, though...
 CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2013
(In reply to baileyswalk)
Another good call at this time of year can be Garbh Bheinn south wall (possibly low and sunny enough to be snow free although if you approach from NE there will be snow still at the col), the south facing stuff on the cobbler (which I'm not sure about this year yet), Binnein Shuas, Aonach Dubh East Face, Cir Mhor South Face.... etc

PeteH 30 Apr 2013
Bump - I'm also interested in any info anyone's got on this. I'm planning a Scottish climbing weekend in a couple of weeks and, conditions permitting, would have been considering the Etive Slabs, stuff on the Buachaille, other stuff in Glen Coe. Are any of these definitely covered in snow?

If anyone's got any other suggestions for a weekend itinerary I'd be glad to hear it. We've been to Dumfries and Galloway before and that's defo an option, had considered Arran but logistics a bit more involved, and Torridon/Skye might be a bit of a stretch for a weekend...

Cheers,
Pete.
 Ramblin dave 30 Apr 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cool - Garbh Bheinn and the Cobbler were both on the things-to-do list anyway. For our part we're after fairly easy stuff, and they've both got plenty by the looks of it. How quickly do they dry out?

On a similar note, how long does the Cioch Nose take to get dry? Or is that a no-hoper at this time of year?

Thanks!
 CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
I've climbed at all the venues I've listed early rock climbing season as they are fairly fast drying, lowish altitude and south facing (being in the sun at this time of year not only dries the rock quicker but makes the whole thing much more pleasurable).

Aonach Mor East Face is probably the slowest drying venue I've listed although it's not too bad.

I'm not sure on current conditions but West coast the snow level looks fairly high on the web cams (>700 metres?) but Cairngorms look more wintery than many winters and to quite a low level!

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/morlich.php

generally the further west you go (especially on to the islands) the higher the snow level (but often the more of it!)
 CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
Garbh Bheinn dries particularly quickly on the south wall and is also very rough rock.
 Jamie B 30 Apr 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

It's not just the snow, mountain crags are still quite cold and wet for the time of year. I live in Lochaber and I'm not even thinking about going high yet. Best stick to cragging for a bit.
 AlH 30 Apr 2013
 CurlyStevo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
Forecast is for considerably warmer weather next week.
 PeteH 01 May 2013
In reply to AlH:
Ah, well spotted - cheers for that. Right enough, that still looks a bit snowy for the likes of Shibboleth and Bludger's Revelation... Garbh Bheinn is an option I hadn't thought of.

Fingers crossed for warmer weather next week!
 kbow265 01 May 2013
In reply to baileyswalk: Arran didn't appear to have any snow yesterday.
 Bob Hassall 02 May 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Just revisiting this thread, for an update.....the what's the latest please?

Heading up next week, and not sure what gear to bring! Rock boots, snowshoes or flippers?

Bob
 barbeg 02 May 2013
In reply to Bob Hassall:
Hi Bob,
Bring ALL your gear, then you will have the option of everything from winter routes on the Ben to rock jocking the quarries and everything in between.
ANdy
Glasgow
 Bob Hassall 03 May 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Thanks Andy!
 Mike Lates 08 May 2013
In reply to Bob Hassall: Summer has arrived up here at last with rock on White Slab warm to touch & drying rapidly in the sun. Yeha!-
http://skyeguides.co.uk/summer-is-here-at-last-white-slab-7th-may/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...