UKC

Andrea Boldrini's Apache 5's?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zen 03 May 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new pair of climbing shoes and because I'm pretty limited by travel I can only try a select few pairs at my local store (namely Boreal Kintaro or Scarpa Boostic & Instinct VS's for what I'm looking for) or have a guess at a pair that I can return-and-swap for free online.

My current shoes are the 'newer' release 5.10 Team black models that I've been wearing for the past 7 months. I find the toebox to be exceptional but the heel has become very saggy to the point of looking comical when heel hooking; It squashes and contorts and has started to limit my pulling ability on smaller holds.

I'm basically left with shoes that have a fantastic front end but a really sloppy back, and although the heel 'ball' is really loose the shape of the section above it digs into my Achilles' to such a degree that I fear I might be doing it some permanent damage. This twinned width the width of my feet is the reason I couldn't buy smaller shoes and force my heel into them.

Call my bluff if you will but I also find 5.10 Stealth rubber to be quite inconsistent. Maybe I'm asking too much but even freshly cleaned I just don't feel that it's tacky enough.

In short, I'm looking for high-end bouldering shoes with a steep rand, good rubber, lots of sensitivity, and built for someone with wider and less slender feet, and a 'squarer,' less pronounced heel.

It's a big ask, but it might sound similar to someone so I thought it'd be worth a shot. I've got my eye on Andrea Boldrini Apache 5's at the moment because I've only heard good things about them, and from what I can tell they look like they'd fit my foot shape. Has anyone had any experience with them? What about the alternatives?

Thanks for reading,

Zen
 jeremyingham 03 May 2013
In reply to Zen: Get the instinct vs, the heel on them is the best I have had on any shoe. The rubber is really good, not quite as sticky as five ten stealth, the toe box super snug. I had the same problem as you with five tens, but the Instinc vs just fits well everywhere
Zen 03 May 2013
In reply to jeremyingham:

Thanks for the reply mate, I'll be checking them out on Wednesday so I'll get back to you on how I found them. Just had a glance at some reviews aswell and they seem to say the same thing: great fit, great shoe. Hopefully my search for the perfect fit might be over a lot sooner than I thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...