UKC

any more gear required for grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 anomm 05 May 2013
Hi,

I'm heading down to England soon to try out some grit climbing - but was wondering if I needed any extra gear due to the different types of placements etc.

I've got two sets of nuts 3 cams and 5 hexes, I was thinking i might need some more cams or hexes but not too sure. (I'm sort of hoping you suggest that hexes will be just as good as it really would stretch the bank account to buy 3 more cams)

Thanks very much,

P.s I'm leading up to HVS (not sure how this transfers to grit though
 Dino Dave 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: It really depends where and what your climbing. One set of nuts is the most i'd ever take on grit, two sets would just be overkill.

Cams and Hex's on the other hand are easily fired into cracks and you can easily end up half way up with none left if your a bit scared! What sizes do you have already (Cams and Hex's)?
 Mark Morris 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: More than enough, just take your time working the grades at each crag. Spend your money on nights camping rather than the cams!
 Stone Idle 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: What you have is always enough so long as you don't hit the ground - or a ledge
OP anomm 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: will be climbing mostly at stanage. The hexes are the old camp hexcentric ones so not too sure what size. The cams are size 1,2 and 3 DMM 4cu's.

Thanks - seems like theres no rush to get some more gear then
 Dino Dave 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: Yeah that sounds fine, just keep a calm head and they'll be no ground falls or ledge hitting! Have fun!
 JLS 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm:

You might want to think about a big cam for the not infrequent wide cracks. However there are a LOT of routes at Stannage where your current rack will be quite adequate.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm:

Outside is five minutes drive away if you need more gear!

http://www.outside.co.uk/

Chris
OP anomm 05 May 2013
In reply to anomm: Ok, thanks guys that's good news!
 ralphio 06 May 2013
In reply to anomm: i climb upto vs with one set of nuts, 4 camp and a set of sexes. Depends what crag you climb. My local Almscliff swallows cams for breakfast.
 ralphio 06 May 2013
In reply to anomm: sorry about the predictive text. I don't climb with 4 camps and a set of sexes.
 Jonny2vests 06 May 2013
In reply to anomm:

One of the nice things about grit is that its often easy to tell from the bottom of a route whether your rack will be adequate for it.
In reply to anomm: the majority of HVS and below at Stanage were put up before cams and with a relatively small rack of nuts and hexes, in fact many were put up before protection as we know it. From the description of your rack, it looks like you're good to go on some of the finest climbs anywhere. Hop you have a good time.
 Jamie B 06 May 2013
In reply to DavidRex:

> One set of nuts is the most i'd ever take on grit, two sets would just be overkill.

Agree, but I always liked to have duplicates between size 4 and 7, as these seem to be the sizes most used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...