UKC

Appalling 80s songs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul-1970 11 May 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_165683&feature=iv...

Reading the other revisionist thread on all the so-called great 80s songs reminded me of the lamentable Modern Romance and their stunningly bad repertoire.

I'm inclined to go along with Morrissey's assessment of Modern Romance when he commented: "There are indeed worse groups than Modern Romance. But can anyone seriously think of one?"

Is this true? Or are there worse bands and songs from this decade when the bad was really awful?
Removed User 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

>
> I'm inclined to go along with Morrissey's assessment of Modern Romance when he commented: "There are indeed worse groups than Modern Romance. But can anyone seriously think of one?"
>
> Is this true? Or are there worse bands and songs from this decade when the bad was really awful?

Yes, I think Morrisey has a point here. Obviously there have been groups of people who have made money out of producing things that can not be regarded as anything more sophisticated than organised noise and should be discounted from any discussions on music but the New Romatics as a whole were pretty phuqin dire, all in all.
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Ahhhh, I'm not talking about the new romantic music genre, but the band Modern Romance. And they were about as far removed from the genre as is possible.

New Romance music had some great tunes. But played by people in indescribably bad clothes and preposterously awful haircuts.
Tim Chappell 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

Just google Phil Collins. Or there again, don't.
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

The nadir of Phil Collins?

youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U&

Mind you, looking for the nadir of Phil Collins is like trying to find the lowest point of the Marianas Trench.
Tim Chappell 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

When my wife wants to get me out of the room she puts on "In the air tonight".

Oh Lord indeed. I'm consulting my divorce lawyers.
 The Lemming 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

> I'm inclined to go along with Morrissey's assessment of Modern Romance when he commented: "There are indeed worse groups than Modern Romance. But can anyone seriously think of one?"

Yep, anything with Morresy in it.
 MJ 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

The best thing about Morrissey, is the number of ways that you can spell his name.
Bit like Shakespeare really, but without the talent.
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to MJ:

Back in my hardcore Smiths fan days, me and my fellow acolytes would always refer to him as 'Stephen Patrick'.

My toes are hurting as they curl right now.
 Bulls Crack 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

Kajagoogoo (?)
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

A convincing case: youtube.com/watch?v=kUnV_J-E5ic&
 Andy Hardy 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
A-ga-do do do ...

The worst song, ever.
 Yanis Nayu 11 May 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to paul-1970)
> A-ga-do do do ...
>
> The worst song, ever.

Agreed.
 The Lemming 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

I can end this right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=DjMOJU26EsU&

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZS2-4-iUJ4&

Don't make me find worse.

Maggie 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

Anything by Wham! has got to be up there with the worst of the worst - especially when they were in their cropped trousers, bare foot stage... yeeeuch...

Tim Chappell 11 May 2013
In reply to Maggie:

Sorry, but I actually think Wake Me Up is a great party number. George Michael has a really excellent soul voice.
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Hmmmm, dreadfully bad indeed. But they were novelty songs, and the 'badness' was part of the attraction, tongue in cheek. It'd be a little like castigating the 1970s for the fecking Wombles. Yes, they were dreadful, but knowingly-dreadful.

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WScEJKNMdgI, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y37heHAsTs, or even this: youtube.com/watch?v=80CInBBXYeU&
 Maggie 11 May 2013
> (In reply to Maggie)
>
>
> Sorry, but I actually think Wake Me Up is a great party number.

Each to their own...

>George Michael has a really excellent soul voice.

That doesn't excuse him the Wham! era...

OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to Maggie:

Careless Whisper? Everything she wants? Like a baby? Where did your heart go? And Last Christmas is a lovely, albeit cheesy tune.

And I just love Freedom. I can do amazing karaoke versions of this. But less said...
 Maggie 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to The Lemming)

Christ, the 80s truly was a musical desert - all floppy hair and floppy shirts - and that was just the blokes...

Tom Valentine 11 May 2013

In spite of him being the epitome of a Cockney wanker, I believe he has some musical talent, and he seems to have the ability to take the piss out of himself, which many don't.
 Maggie 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to Maggie)
>
> Careless Whisper? Everything she wants? Like a baby? Where did your heart go? And Last Christmas is a lovely, albeit cheesy tune.
>
> And I just love Freedom. I can do amazing karaoke versions of this. But less said...

OMFG - no, no, no, no - does nothing for me, I'm afraid - maybe it's a boy thing

OP paul-1970 11 May 2013
In reply to Maggie:
> [...]
>
> maybe it's a boy thing

You could be right. Maybe it was those "shuttlecocks down the shorts" allegations that drive my affections?
andymac 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

This release of this gem should have resulted in some drive by shootings.

My ears are bleeding.

Anfield Rap
youtube.com/watch?v=Kcy3gwwxat4&
Tim Chappell 11 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
>
> And I just love Freedom. I can do amazing karaoke versions of this.

If we pay you, will you promise not to?
OP paul-1970 11 May 2013

Every man has his price. But mine is particularly low.
 The Lemming 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Hmmmm, dreadfully bad indeed. But they were novelty songs,

Fair comment, then I humbly submit

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2YIpZWBqA&

youtube.com/watch?v=8Hg7M8qI5m8&

youtube.com/watch?v=lJLEXgkddPQ&

youtube.com/watch?v=291ET6Py6H8&

The Lemming 12 May 2013
In reply to andymac:

We have a winner.

Removed User 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970: have not checked all the youtube clips, so I may be behind the curve here, but
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you... Chris de Burgh. Ay thang ewe. Ba-dum, tish.
ice.solo 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

some big groups from the 60s that made it to the 80s produced shit.
jefferson starship is a good example, jethro tull and yes others.

and good call re morrissey above. why is he even famous? are there really that many spineless, discontent vegetarians out there?

Bulls Crack 12 May 2013
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:
> (In reply to Removed Userpaul-1970) have not checked all the youtube clips, so I may be behind the curve here, but
> Ladies and Gentlemen I give you... Chris de Burgh. Ay thang ewe. Ba-dum, tish.

We have a winner!
In reply to Maggie: Slayer, Anthrax, Metellica, Nirvana, a great decade away from pop.
 RockAngel 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970: as a kid in the 80's, i hated lots of the music. Pet hates were & still are: karma chameleon by boy george. Makes my skin crawl. And 'chain reaction' by diana ross because my older sister played it non stop for 8 weeks, very loudly on her record player and now i just hate it
 Al Evans 12 May 2013
In reply to RockAngel: Of course like any decade there was some (a bit) good and some (a lot) bad, but the 80's had more rubbish than any other decade I have been alive, though the 90's pushes it. The problem is they had a hard act to follow the 60's and the 70's and to a lesser extent the 50's were the birth of rock and roll. The best bands in the 80's would have been among the best bands in the earlier years, the rest, bless 'em were just trying their best.
OP paul-1970 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

I think there's two complaints that can be levelled at 80s music in general:

The first is of style over substance - the ridiculous clothing, hair, make-up and pretty boy posing being of greater importance than the actual music.

The second is of the emergent technology allowing all manner of over-production. Just listening to the opening few seconds of many many 80s songs tells you straight away the decade it was released. All big effects, echoing drums and gimmicky add-ons - all simply because they could. Subtley and allowing simple melody to speak unemcumbered by studio wizardry was rare.

I'm aware that much of the above can be levelled at most periods of popular music. Elvis wouldn't have made anything like the legend he created if he was pig-ugly and uncharismatic. Studio trickery is all abundant in much of the 1970s output too, and almost ruins classic albums such as Dark Side of the Moon.

But the 80s were unashamedly indulgent in being obsessed with image and focusing on what Synclaviers, Linn drum machines and echo-effects could do with songs.
 sbc_10 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

This release makes me genuinely embarrassed to be a member of the human race, and it is now some 30 light years into the Galactic interstellar medium and is speeding ever outward after being broadcast from Planet Earth in 1983.
No wonder they haven't contacted us.....

Toto...."Africa".
thepeaks 12 May 2013
In reply to sbc_10: Really - I love that song!
I also love happy talk. Captn sensible always used to sing "Im a lucky Cnt" live. Punk rock.
 Enty 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

I love this thread - I'm friends with Geoff Deane on FB. Super cool bloke, hyper intelligent, highly entertaining. Funny how things work out.

E
 Gone 12 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

Simply Red
 pneame 13 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: rather liked the second one. Made me all nostalgic, like.
Sniff.
 Fiona Reid 13 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

This is pretty dreadful: youtube.com/watch?v=EfpgE1EoOjs&

Fiona
ice.solo 13 May 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:

this gem up in the corner

youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs&

who can forget joe dolce?
 Mike-W-99 13 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Put "goombay dance band" into google. I now have seven tears going round my head and am back in primary school.
ice.solo 13 May 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

i clicked on 'eldorado'.

you owe me exactly two minutes and forty six seconds, so im going to curse you with this and call it equal

youtube.com/watch?v=9ttDUGM-1mU&
 John Ww 13 May 2013
In reply to sbc_10:

> Toto...."Africa".

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!! One single word to make my skin crawl, teeth curl, and bowels open...

"Seren-geteeeeeeee"

Die, you f*ckers!!

(and breathe..)
Removed User 13 May 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> Kajagoogoo (?)

I saw their bass player Nick Beggs a couple of years back playing with Steve Hackett and he was conmfortably one of the best bass players I've ever seen, bloke was astounding.

But aye....they were pish.
 shantaram 13 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970: This one is a particularly unpleasant example of arythmic 80's white rap youtube.com/watch?v=SvtzHxr-7g8&
 Blue Straggler 13 May 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
>
>
> Toto...."Africa".

This gets played sometimes at my local climbing wall. I take it as a hint that I've outstayed my welcome, and I hurry home!

drmarten 13 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
Jesse Rae? I've never quite come to terms with this video, it's breathtaking in many ways. Claymores on top of skyscrapers, pipe bands etc. The song and video veer into 'so bad it may be good'.

youtube.com/watch?v=dOad0FU9zF8&

John Ww 13 May 2013
In reply to drmarten:

How dare you! One of my faves (seriously).
drmarten 13 May 2013
In reply to John Ww:
I bought it at the time, the song could be in this thread or the other one running about 'class' songs. I'm confused.
 Fiona Reid 13 May 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Oh dear, I have to actually confess to quite liking Africa... I have however, thought of some other wee gems...

youtube.com/watch?v=JyTzmhFQt2o& and youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6IlIXT2oo&

Sorry!!
 Mike-W-99 13 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> i clicked on 'eldorado'.
>
> you owe me exactly two minutes and forty six seconds, so im going to curse you with this and call it equal
You lasted that long? I didn't think the Neil Diamond number was too bad.

Mike-W-99 13 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

Viewers of a certain age may remember this catchy number -
youtube.com/watch?v=jCLs0jv_Efk&
 sbc_10 13 May 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

If you are old enough, then this one is etched deeper than any tattoo...

youtube.com/watch?v=1KEMMfV5-Qg&

Just how many stella's did it take to emulate these two poodles on a dance floor? Probably enough to render limbs useless anyway.
 climber123 15 May 2013
In reply to paul-1970: Rolf Harris 'Stairway to Heaven'
 Bulls Crack 15 May 2013
In reply to climber123:
> (In reply to paul-1970) Rolf Harris 'Stairway to Heaven'

1993!
Tim Chappell 15 May 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Here's one of the very best songs from the 80s. Great video too, in the days when the music video had only just been invented really. Generally I don't much like MJ, but this is astoundingly good.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...